ASME Turbo Expo 2021
The Turbo Expo is an event all about the turbomachinery industry, organised by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers ASME. At the Turbo Expo 2021 from 07 to 11 June, ZHAW researcher Mirko Bothien lead a panel on hydrogen combustion and a session on liquid fuel combustion dynamics.
The Turbo Expo includes topics that cover the entire turbomachinery industry – gas turbines, steam turbines, wind turbines or fans and blowers. The international event brings together industry, research and education and contributes to the exchange and understanding around the topic of turbomachinery.
At the Turbo Expo 2021, Mirko Bothien chaired a panel on hydrogen combustion and a session on liquid fuel combustion dynamics. Bothien is the Head of the new research group Distributed Thermal Energy Systems at the ZHAW Institute of Energy Systems and Fluid Engineering (IEFE) and member of the ASME Turbo Expo Combustion, Fuels and Emissions Committee Leadership Team.
Four experts from all over Europe lectured on hydrogen:
- Speaker: Thierry Schuller, Institut de Mécanique des Fluides de Toulouse, IMFT, Université de Toulouse, CNRS, Toulouse, France
Title: Influence of Hydrogen Content and Injection Strategy on the Transfer Function of Swirled Flames
- Speaker: Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Polifke, Technical University of Munich
Title: Thermoacoustic stability of Hydrogen Flames – Same Same, But Different?
- Speaker: Prof. James Dawson, Dept. of Energy & Process Engineering, Norwegian University of Science & Technology (NTNU)
Title: Effects of Hydrogen/Methane and Ammonia/Hydrogen/Nitrogen Blends on Thermoacoustic Response of Flames
- Speaker: Jenny Larfeld, Siemens Energy AB
Title: Siemens Energy Industrial Gas Turbine Hydrogen Experience
The following papers were presented and discussed:
- 08.15 pm – 08.45 pm CEST: Presentation
Localized Breakup Instabilities for a Liquid Fuel Jet in Crossflow
- 08.45 pm – 09.15 pm CEST: Presentation
Experimental Investigation of Acoustic Characteristic of Shaped Orifices With Bias Flow
- 09.15 pm – 09.25 pm CEST: Rapid Talk
Vortex Breakdown and Recirculation Bubble Formation in Counter Swirl Flows
- 09.25 pm – 09.35 pm CEST: Rapid Talk
Characterization of Dynamics of Unstable Fuel-Rich Flame
- 09.35 pm – 09.45 pm CEST: Rapid Talk
Influence of Acoustically Excited Airflows on a Planar Airblast Prefilmer