Institute of Computational Physics (ICP)
«We are the specialists in computer simulation. The close collaboration with our partners results in convincing simulation results that generate customer value.»
Prof. Dr. Andreas Witzig, Head of Institute
At the ICP, a team of physicists, mathematicians and engineers works on applying methods and results from basic research to problem areas in industry.
For over 20 years, the ICP has been developing multiphysics computer models on the Basis of finite element Methods, which can be used, for example, to simulate crowd flows at large Events such as the Street Parade or research the stability of ultra-thin solar cells. Furthermore, the ICP operates a laboratory for optoelectronics (OLAB) to develop optoelectronic materials and new optical measurement methods.
Together with partners from the worlds of research and industry, the ICP works on solutions for concrete problems, such as as how coatings can be measured contact-free and how aging processes in fuel cells can be halted.
Your Benefits as an ICP Partner
- holistic modeling of multiphysical phenomena
- complete understanding of the underlying multiphysical processes
- design and implementation of complex physical-mathematical models
- development of customized numerical software for our partners
- full control over the entire modeling process
- expertise in consulting on the entire decision-making process and the various stages of product development
- acceleration of product development and optimization
- anticipation and elimination of possible product defects
- access to simulation and modelling expertise for companies without in-house experience
At First Glance
Approximately 40 employees as well as bachelor and master students
4 research and development areas
- Multiphysics Modeling
- Electrochemical Cells and Microstructures
- Organic Electronics and Photovoltaics
- Sensor and Measuring Systems
Optoelectronics research and development laboratory (OLAB)
7 spin-off companies
3 numerical software packages
Several partner institutes and industry partners, enabling access to interdisciplinary know-how
Groundbreaking EU project "SONAR"
Study and Continuing Education
The ICP contributes important basics, such as physics, mathematics and thermodynamics, as well as specialized modules for the Bachelor's degree program of the School of Engineering. In the Master of Science in Engineering (MSE) program, the ICP is active in the following specializations: Energy and Environment, Photonics, Medical Engineering, Computer Science and Industrial Technology. The Master's program, jointly developed by the Swiss Universities of Applied Sciences, is aimed at highly motivated Bachelor's graduates who wish to deepen their knowledge and skills in a specific subject area.
In addition, ICP lecturers supervise bachelor's, master's and doctoral theses on computer-aided design and characterization of micro- and nanosystems, sensors, actuators, fuel and solar cells as well as organic light-emitting diodes and solar cells. Most of this work is done in cooperation with industrial partners. An overview of these projects and detailed information on some of them can be found in our annual research reports.
Bachelor's Theses at the ICP
Selected Master's Theses at the ICP
Doctoral Theses at the ICP
Several doctoral theses were supervised at the ICP. Following find a summary of their work. If you are interested in a dissertation at the ICP, please contact us. We always have interesting topics for a dissertation.
The ICP is part of a comprehensive research network and will find the right project partner for your project. We offer you access to experimental facilities and simulation tools. We also know how interdisciplinary projects are successfully realized for industrial partners. Please direct your inquiries to Beat Ruhstaller.
- Adolphe Merkle Institute
- Ajou University, Molecular Science and Technology, South Korea
- ASE AG
- Avantama AG
- EMPA Abteilung Funktionspolymere
- EPFL Interdisciplinary Centre for Electron Microscopy CIME
- EPFL Laboratory of Photonics and Interfaces LPI
- EPFL Photovoltaics and Thin Film Electronics Laboratory PV-Lab
- ETH Institute for Building Materials IfB
- ETH Laboratory of Food Process Engineering
- ETH Scientific Center for Optical and Electron Microscopy
- FZ Jülich
- HEXIS AG
- Holst Centre
- Max Felchlin AG
- Mettler Toledo
- PSI Electrochemistry Laboratory
- Rainbow Photonics AG
- Ulm University, Institute of Stochastics
- Volkswagen AG
- WSL-Institut für Schnee- und Lawinenforschung SLF
Partner Institutes at the ZHAW
- IAMP Institut für Angewandte Mathematik und Physik
- IDP Institut für Datenanalyse und Prozessdesign
- IEFE Institute for Energy Systems and Fluid Engineering
- IMPE Institute of Materials and Process Engineering
- INE Institut für Nachhaltige Entwicklung
- ISC Institute for Signal Processing and Wireless Communications
- ZPP Zentrum für Produkt- und Prozessentwicklung
Swiss Competence Centers for Energy Research
The ICP also participates at the Swiss Competence Centers for Energy Research (SCCER) in the field of mobility.
Bürgenstock-Konferenz der Schweizer Fachhochschulen und Pädagogischen Hochschulen, Luzern, Schweiz, 10. - 11. Januar 2020.
Kim, Se‐In; Kim, Won Tae; Seok, Jin‐Hong; Jazbinsek, Mojca; Yoon, Woojin; Yu, In Cheol; Yun, Hoseop; Kim, Dongwook; Rotermund, Fabian; Kwon, O‐Pil,
Advanced Optical Materials.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.1002/adom.201901840
Müller, Stephan; Fuchs, Michael, eds.,
Proceedings of the ICPS19 : 5th international conference on polygeneration strategies.
ICPS19 - 5th International Conference on Polygeneration Strategies, Vienna, 18-20 November 2019.
Verein zur Förderung zukunftsfähiger Energietechnik auf Basis der Polygenerationsstrategie aus Biomasse.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.21256/zhaw-19154
Zhao, Yuan; Lin, Jou; Kundrat, David M.; Bonmarin, Mathias; Krupczak, John; Thomas, Som V.; Lyu, Mengyao; Shi, Donglu,
Journal of Physical Chemistry C.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.21256/zhaw-19115
Advanced Electronic Materials.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.21256/zhaw-19292