The mechanical engineering industry is the largest industrial employer in Switzerland. With a Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, you are highly sought after in one of the most important internationally-oriented branches of production.
Professional career outline
The mechanical engineering industry develops, produces and optimises machinery, materials, equipment and products for industry and research. With the MSE in Mechanical Engineering you are in demand for senior positions and research tasks in manufacturing and engineering companies as well as in the public sector. Your position is essential to ensure the company's success, taking ecological and social issues into account.
The MSE profile Mechanical Engineering covers the following content:
- Construction, modelling, prototyping, testing, measurement, validation and optimisation of components, modules or entire systems
- Development methods production technology
- Energy efficiency and ecological and social sustainability
- Product life cycle knowledge
- Materials knowledge
Institutes and centres
Applying for the MSE you chose an institute to study Mechanical Engineering. The institutes interpret the profiles individually.
Institute of Energy Systems and Fluid Engineering (IEFE)
Institute of Mechanical Systems (IMES)
Institute of Materials and Process Engineering (IMPE)
Centre for Product and Process Development (ZPP)
In the MSE Mechanical Engineering you develop a comprehensive understanding in the conception, development and production of components and systems as well as of the necessary materials and means of production. The focus is on mechanical and mechatronic systems including control and automation. In addition, you acquire in-depth mathematical competences for simulation, analysis, optimisation and verification. You answer complex problems with pronounced methodological competence.
Technical Scientific Specialisation (TSM):
- Applied micro & nano technologies (TSM_AppMNT)
- Computational fluid dynamics (TSM_CFD)
- Computational structural mechanics (TSM_CSM)
- Manufacturing technologies (TSM_ManTech)
- Materials and Surfaces (TSM_MatSurf)
- Digitalisation in industry (TSM_DigInd)
- Advanced structural mechanics (TSM_AdvMech)
Fundamental Theoretical Principles (FTP):
- Applied statistics and data analysis (FTP_AppStat)
- Numerical analysis and computer algebra (FTP_CompAlg)
- Optimization (FTP_Optimiz)
- Ordinary differential equations and dynamical systems (FTP_OrdDiff)
Context Modules (CM):
- Management of complex processes (CM_ComplPro)
- Innovations- und changemanagment (CM_InnChang)
- Quality and risk management (CM_QRM)
Differentiation to bachelor level
Compared to the graduates of a Bachelor's Degree, an MSE in mechanical engineering enables you not only to develop components, parts and properties of a product or process. Taking into account the design and functional requirements, you create whole products and systems. You are able to carry out complex projects in an industrial and research environment, to apply a broader range of tool sets and to take on leadership roles based on your in-depth analysis and abstraction skills.
Information events and application
- no information events
- Applications for the autumn semester 2020 are still possible in exceptional cases. Please contact our administrative office at email@example.com