Section for Analytical Technologies
«Reason, observation, and experience; the holy trinity of science.» Robert Green Ingersoll
Professor for Analytical Chemistry, Bioanalytical Chemistry and Diagnostics
Head of section and Head of Coffee Excellence Center
The section for Analytical Technologies is the leading academic institution at a University of Applied Sciences in Switzerland for both teaching and research in the fields of Analytical Chemistry.
Attached to the section is the Coffee Excellence Center which works on research and development along the coffee value chain.
We believe that the most demanding form of research is that which is put into practice. Through close, project-based collaboration with our industrial partners, we focus our skills, resources and infrastructure on the current needs of our partners and explore fundamental issues that can help us anticipate future requirements.
We are passionate about application-oriented research and are focused on the cutting edge of science in terms of methodology and technology. There we can make an active contribution to solving economic, environmental and social challenges.
- Solving analytical problems in the fields of environment, food and materials.
- Developing and validating analytical applications and transferring them from the laboratory to the real world.
- Introducing new analytical technologies.
- Application of chromatographic technologies in diverse areas
- Time-resolved analysis in real time (proton transfer reaction time of flight mass spectrometry)
- Time-resolved and quantitative analysis of volatile and non-volatile organic substances
- Qualitative analysis of macromolecules and microorganisms
- Electrochemical methods
- Chemometric and statistical methods for interpreting multidimensional data
- Proton-Transfer-Reaction Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry (PTR TOF-MS)
- Matrix-Assisted Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry (MALDI TOF-MS)
- Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS)
- Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (UPLC-MS)
- High Performance Thin Layer Chromatography (HPTLC)
- High Performance Size Exclusion Chromatography (HP-SEC)
- Flow Injection Analysis (FIA)
The section trains practice orientated scientists with a solid basic knowledge of analytical chemistry. This ensures the professional success of our graduates whose innovation will benefit the companies in which they are employed.
- Providing a deep understanding of analytical chemistry
- Implementing the fundamental concepts from lectures in modern, sustainability-oriented practicals
Certificate of Advanced Studies The Science and Art of Coffee
Former section members
- Alexia N. Glöss, left Dezember 2015
- Barbara Edelmann, left Dezember 2015
- Kaja Knöpfli Lengweiler, left 2014, ZHAW, Winterthur
- Simon Wyss, left 2014, EMPA, Dübendorf
- Samuel Menzi, left 2014, Master-Studium Uni Bern
- Flurin Wieland, left 2013, Nestle' SA, Konolfingen, BE
- Angela Neff, left 2013, Biotronic, Bülach
- Reto Zumstein, left 2012, Biotronic, Bülach
- Andrea Wild, left 2012, Senn Chemicals, Dielsdorf
- Lucio D'Ambrosio, left 2011, NIUTEC AG, Winterthur
- Prof. Dr. Eduard Gamp, retired 2010
- Manuel Rebsamen, left 2009, Swiss Caps AG, Kirchberg SG