Coffee Excellence Center
"While coffee is one of the most challenging subjects for science to tackle, it is also one of the most relevant to our daily life."
Prof. Dr. MBA Chahan Yeretzian
Professor for Analytical Chemistry, Bioanalytical Chemistry and Diagnostics, Head of Coffee Excellence Center and Head Analytical Technologies
The Coffee Excellence Center is the leading Public Research Institution on coffee along the coffee value chain: from crop to cup.
The Coffee Excellence Center was founded in 2008 by Prof. Dr. Chahan Yeretzian and has ever since expanded its scope and expertise to become the leading public science, technology and innovation center on coffee.
We believe that high-quality coffee can only be obtained with a profound and holistic understanding of the coffee value chain. Therefore, we are dedicated to state of the art research on coffee along the whole value chain.
We aim to disseminate our coffee expertise via publications and in post-graduate education programs.
The Coffee Excellence Center is organized along five pillars, each lead by a renowned coffee expert.
- Origin and Green Coffee. Life cycle of Arabica, cultivation practices and post-processing methods of green coffee, analytical chemistry of non-volatile compounds and antioxidants in coffee: Dr. Sebastian Opitz
- Transformation of Coffee. Roasting, grinding, degassing, packaging, freshness: Dr. Samo Smrke
- Extraction and Sensory. Extraction of coffee, analysis of coffee aroma, sensory analysis of coffee (Q Grader for Arabica), water treatment and characterization: Dr. Marco Wellinger
- Aroma and Flavour of Coffee. Origin, characterisation, ageing
- Sustainable Development. Sustainability aspects in the coffee value chain, smallholder farmers livelihoods, value adding in origin countries: Dr. Sebastian Opitz, Sabine de Castelberg
Selection of Current Contributions of the Research Group
- Podcast the Daily Coffee Pro - Map It Forward by Lee Safar (Chahan Yeretzian, October 2022)
- Podcast "The Science of Coffee" by James Harper
- Schweizer Familie Ausgabe 10/2022 "Kaffeesatz richtig lesen" (PDF 1,1 MB)
- 5THWAVE - The Business of Coffee: "The importance of water in coffee operations" podcast with Dr. Marco Wellinger (14.1.2022)
- Sendung "Morgengast" mit Chahan Yeretzian auf Radio SRF 1 vom 15.2.22
- Innovation News Network: Food Security & Development Profile (Issue 1, 2020)
We believe that the most demanding form of research is that which is put into practice. Through close, project-based collaboration with our industrial partners, we focus our skills, resources and infrastructure on the current needs of our partners and explore fundamental issues that can help us anticipate future requirements.
E-Learning CAS in Coffee Excellence
The postgraduate programme Certificate of Advanced Studies «CAS in Coffee Excellence» is an online learning programme in English designed at the highest level of the coffee training path.
The CAS in Coffee Excellence programme is offered in cooperation with:
Cooperation Partner: The Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) supports the dissemination, communication and networking (e.g. ALUMNI events) of the CAS program.
Research Partner: The Coffee Excellence Center joins forces with leaders and innovators of the industry to continuously improve the content and quality of the CAS in Coffee Excellence. Research-Partners are Sucafina SA, Sanremo Coffee Machines, BWT AG, Probat, HACO AG. The main objectives of the Research Partnership is:
- Insight: Create deeper insight and mastery of coffee through joint research projects on coffee.
- Education: Apply new insight to upgrade the content and quality of CAS in Coffee Excellence. Educate and train next-generation coffee scientists and technologists.
- Dissemination: Communicate and share results through publications, conferences, and media.
CAS the Science and Art of Coffee
This continuing education program in German on-site is the first University course at a Swiss University since 2010.
Head of Centre, Coffee Excellence Center, Head, ...
Professor for Analytical Chemistry, Bioanalytical ...
Dr. Ed Wieland Sebastian Opitz
Head of green coffee at the Coffee Excellence ...
Research Fellow, Head Continuing Education in ...