Master studies in Environment and Natural Resources
The world needs bold, innovative solutions at the interface between society, the environment and technology. This is something which requires environmental experts and sustainability specialists. With our master’s programme, you'll become a part of this!
How can we make the transition to a sustainable society? Which ideas, strategies, methods and solutions enable this transformation? These questions form the starting point of this unique master’s programme, which combines technological, natural and social science disciplines in order to address central challenges of our time.
You specialise in one of the following topics: Agroecology and Food Systems, Biodiversity and Ecosystems or Ecological Engineering and Renewable Energy, and thanks to a wide range of modules and diverse collaborations, you can set your own personal area of focus. Furthermore, by integrating into a research group, you will benefit from individual advice and support on this path. We work with you on real research and business projects.
"What appealed to me was the interdisciplinary approach to problems that are tackled in the specialist modules. A wide range of modules also enabled me to customise my education according to my interests."
Valerio Volpe, Technical-Scientific Assistant at Agroscope
- You specialise in your topic and are given individual support by our experts.
- The flexible design enables you to combine your studies with work and personal circumstances.
- You will gain a wide range of insights into the key sustainability and environmental issues facing society.
- As a university of applied sciences, we orientate ourselves on issues which are applicable practically in real life and develop future-oriented solutions in cooperation with partners from industry.
- You have the opportunity to complete a second university degree thanks to the double degree programme with our partner universities in Slovenia, Germany and Norway.
You decide on your personal major (Master Research Unit MRU): Agroecology and Food Systems, Biodiversity and Ecosystems, or Ecological Engineering and Renewable Energy.
As part of this MRU, you select a research group for your individual specialisation. The collaboration with your research group makes up half of the course and gives you in-depth insights into research and development work. During your studies, you will build up a professional network with our partners from industry and research.
To strengthen your methodological skills, you choose either the scientific or the social science profile in order to be able to analyse scientific questions from this perspective.
Do you not have a bachelor's degree in the environmental field, but would like to combine your know-how with sustainability topics? We will put together a programme that enables you to begin studying for a master’s degree with us.
"As a passionate mountaineer, the adventures in the mountains show me not only the beauty of nature, but also the urgent need to protect it." The master’s degree enabled me to get involved in ecological issues while at the same time contributing my experience in business administration. In my master's thesis, I was able to optimally combine my passion and the topic of environmental protection, and created a life cycle assessment of climbing ropes with a sports company."
Sebastian Bradford, Student
Agroecoloty and Food Systems: We examine the complex relationships in the food system and develop innovative solutions for sustainable development based on agroecological principles.
- "I am fascinated by the complexity of the nutritional system, which affects us all on a daily basis. This focus area brings all disciplines together." Ennio Mariani, Student
Biodiversity and Ecosystems: We examine and research the diverse interactions and networks in terrestrial and aquatic systems in rural and urban areas.
- "Questions about biodiversity always involve data analysis. This focus area gives me the necessary skills." Adrian Hochreutner, Student
Ecological Engineering and Renewable Energy: We research and develop sustainable energy and mobility systems as well as eco-technologies as key elements of a sustainable society.
- "My individual studies enabled me to specialise in the area of simulating building energy." Manuel Hunziker, Student
"For my Master’s thesis, I got to work on something that is very close to my heart: I travelled to Bolivia on a freighter and studied the impact that the ageing population of cocoa farmers has on the long-term development of their businesses. My findings were used in a project of the research group."
Aline Roth, Student Environment and Natural Resource
We are proud of our diverse partnerships with universities, colleges, research institutions and partners industry, both within Switzerland and abroad.