Master in Accounting and Controlling
Professional and modern financial management is a strategic success factor for companies. Highly qualified specialists and managers in accounting and controlling, with sound expertise and systematic and conceptual skills are, therefore, indispensable. This Master’s degree program prepares you specifically for demanding specialist and management functions in accounting, controlling, financial management, or management consultancy:
Achieve a respected and recognized professional qualification in the field of financial management, combined with distinctive systematic expertise in econometrics, programming in R, financial modeling with Excel, and data science.
Personalize your studies by choosing from a range of attractive electives.
Create ideal conditions for further internationally recognized certifications such as the Certified Financial Modeler, the Certified Management Accountant or the Certified Public Accountant ("eidg. dipl. Wirtschaftsprüfer").
At a Glance
Title: Master of Science (MSc) ZHAW in Accounting and Controlling
Workload: 90 ECTS credits (corresponds to approx. 2,700 hours of study)
Duration: 4 semesters. (Students may hold a part-time job or do family work not exceeding a workload of 50%). If a student's part-time activity exceeds that level, the study period may be increased to 6 semesters
Start of New Program: Mid-September (CW 38)
Enrollment Deadline: 30 May 2024 - apply now
Language of Instruction: German
4-semester model: 2.5 days on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays
6-semester model: 1.5 days on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays
Semester Fee: CHF 720.- + additional study expenses
Admission Requirements: Admission Procedure
Studying abroad: Students can do a semester abroad in their third (or fifth) semester at one of our numerous partner universities.
The Master in Accounting and Controlling is a scientifically based and, at the same time, practice-oriented degree program for specialists. You will learn to think and act in an interdisciplinary way, analyze complex tasks, identify various solutions, and implement them successfully. You will also deepen your knowledge of accounting and controlling, including related specialist fields, and be able to take on key interface, specialist, and management functions in these areas.
Thanks to a flexible classroom schedule, you can pursue up to 50 percent of a study-related professional activity during a regular study period. The degree program usually takes four semesters, but the program can be extended to six semesters if there is a corresponding increase in study-related professional activity. The MSc comprises 90 ECTS credits, corresponding to a workload of around 2,700 hours. About half of the program is devoted to applied research, concluding with a scientifically based Master's thesis on a practice-oriented topic.
- Financial Manager
- Responsible for Accounting and Controlling
- Head of Finance and Controlling
- Head of Group Accounting
- CFO (Chief Financial Officer)
- Management consulting in the field of accounting
- Other management functions
- Industrial and commercial enterprises
- Service companies
- Banks and insurance companies
- Other financial services
- Financial consulting
- Management consulting in an auditing company
- You must meet a set of criteria for admission, a basic requirement being a Bachelor's degree in business administration or its equivalent in a related field. In addition to these formal requirements, we attach great importance to personal motivation and a desire to succeed. The individual admission decision is based on your overall profile following an admission interview.
The following additional criteria must also be met:
- Fundamentals of accounting and controlling (=12 ECTS). In the event of missing credits, it is possible to earn these in the first and second semesters of the Master's program.
- Ability to follow German and English language instruction at university level and to work with teaching materials in both languages (Benchmark: C1 level).