Public Sector Financial Management
We research, lecture and provide consulting services in the field of public financial management and, in doing so, are committed to the active transfer of knowledge into practice. Our mission is to seek innovative and academically profound solutions to current challenges in the financial management of government, administrative, and not-for-profit organizations with the aim of increasing efficiency, effectiveness, and transparency in dealing with public finances and donations.
PEFA study in the field of "Green Public Procurement
Recently we won the PEFA Secretariat's international research competition 2020 on "The Interplay of Climate Change and Public Financial Management". We will investigate the potential of environmentally sustainable public procurement to reduce greenhouse gases and which PFM "enablers" are necessary to effectively implement greening of public procurement.
Projects in the field of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) within the framework of international development cooperation
We were allowed to carry out projects for various national and international partners in the field of impact assessment within the framework of international development cooperation (IC) with the aim of designing efficient, sustainable and effective project interventions and supporting local partners in their autonomy. You can find more information here (PDF 611,3 KB)
International study on public accounting
In cooperation with the World Bank, the Institute for Public Management (IVM) has prepared a detailed study which analyzes the Public Sector Accounting (PSA) environment of the thirteen beneficiary countries of the World Bank’s PULSAR program from the Western Balkan and Eastern Partnership countries. Click here for the report (PDF 3,6 MB)
In our research, we examine ways to increase the efficiency, effectiveness, and transparency of the financial management of governments, administrations, and not-for-profit organizations. The focus is on their practical needs and how to meet them by means of academically based approaches and concepts. Research areas include, in particular:
- Modernization of public accounting through HRM2 and IPSAS;
- Alternative financing models in the public sector such as public-private partnerships;
- Effects of digitalization on public financial management;
- Sustainable financial management through the development of a fiscal stress test;
- Evaluation of financing decisions by NPOs;
- Financial governance and planning systems such as budgeting and medium-term planning;
- Capacity building in the field of Public Financial Management (PFM);
- Sustainability in public procurement
Over the past 10 years, we have supported more than 50 government, administrative, and not-for-profit organizations in more than 20 countries in increasing their efficiency, effectiveness, and transparency in dealing with public finances and donations. Examples of our projects include:
- IPSAS implementation in various latin-american, central-asian and east-european countries
- Development and implementation of an integrated financial reporting system for the Federal Postal and Telecommunications Surveillance Service ("ÜPF");
- Development and implementation of an Impact evaluation Framework for Caritas Switzerland;
- Support of the Islamic Republic of Iran in the implementation of an effective and transparent public financial management system on behalf of the International Monetary Fund (IMF);
- Establishment and development of a diagnostic tool used by the World Bank to identify and evaluate public financial management practices.
- Establishment of internal control systems and risk management systems in various Swiss municipalities and cantons
Our broad national and international network of research partners and our independent research on innovative concepts and solutions help us in providing practical and scientifically grounded solutions that correspond to the latest state of knowledge.
We have a broad national and international network of reliable and experienced partners in the field of public financial management and development cooperation. In particular, we maintain strategic partnerships with:
- The State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO) in public financial management (2018 to 2022);
- The Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA) in the training and further education of public sector accountants;
- The World Bank within the framework of the Public Sector Accounting and Reporting Strengthening Initiative (PULSAR) in Europe and Central Asia;
- Caritas Switzerland in the development and implementation of an Impact Evaluation model
Our current publications
Fuchs, S., Mertes, A., Ramsden, A., Rey, A. (2020). Öffentliche Planungs- und Steuerungssysteme für das 21. Jahrhundert. Swiss Yearbook of Administrative Sciences, 11(1), pp. 171–183. You can find this publication here.
Grafl, A., Schuler, C., Fuchs, S., Bergmann, A., Horni, P., Warzecha, I., Boyce, D. (2020). Stocktaking of public sector accounting and reporting environment in PULSAR beneficiary countries. World Bank Group. You can find this publication here (PDF 3,6 MB).
Bergmann, A., Wermuth, M., Fuchs, S. (2020). Umsetzung und Überprüfung der IPSAS-Ertragsstandards: Neuerungen im Bereich IFRS werden berücksichtigt, vor allem IFRS 15. Expert Focus, 2020(1-2), S. 17-19. You can find this publication here.
Bergmann, A., Fuchs, S., & Schuler, C. (2019). A theoretical basis for public sector accrual accounting research: Current state and perspectives. Public Money & Management, 39(8), 560–570. You can find this publication here.
Betz, R., Geissmann, T., Hediger, W., Herter, M., Schillinger, M., Schuler, C., & Weigt, H. (2019). The Future of Swiss Hydropower: Distributional Effects of Water Fee Reform Options. You can find this publication here (PDF 1,8 MB).
Bergmann, A., Augustin, L. & Fuchs, S. (2019). Bilanzorientierte Haushaltssteuerung. Expert Focus, 2019(5), 396–399. You can find this publication here.
Fuchs, S. & Grafl, A. I. (2019). Die dunkle Seite des Mondes: Was steht den Staatschulden gegenüber? You can find this publication here.
Fuchs, S. & Seiwald, J. (2018). Accountants und Ökonomen: Einzel- oder Paartanz? You can find this publication here.
Our team, from left to right
- Dr. Sandro Fuchs, Head Center for Public Financial Management / Lecturer
- Dr. Andreas Bergmann, Director of Department Public Sector and Professor
- Dr. Oriana Ponta, Project Manager Impact Evaluations
- Christoph Schuler, Project Manager Public Finance
- Pascal Horni, Project Manager Public Finance
- Lukas Augustin, Project Employee Public Finance
- Durlandy Andrés Cubillos Márquez, Project Manager Public Finance
- Dr. Alma Ramsden, Project Manager Public Finance
- Antonia Grafl, Project Manager Public Finance