MSc in Business Administration – Major Health Economics and Healthcare Management
"This specialization in healthcare combined with education for managers is unique in Switzerland."
Dr. Karin Brunner Schmid, Head of Program
The health sector is a growth market of great economic significance. It is an interdisciplinary system that is steadily growing in complexity, and in which medical and economic concepts are closely connected. An MSc in Health Economics and Healthcare Management prepares you for demanding positions in hospitals, insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, and health care associations.
At a Glance
Title: Master of Science (MSc) in Health Economics and Healthcare Management
Start of New Program: Mid-September
Registration deadline: 30 May 2021 - Enrollment
Workload: 90 ECTS credits (corresponding to approx. 2,700 hours of study)
Duration: 4 semesters (while enrolled in the program, students can hold a part-time job or do family work not exceeding a workload of 50%). The time to complete the program can be extended to six semesters.
Semester Fee: CHF 720.-
Admission Requirements: Admission Procedure
Language of instruction: German/English
What You Will Learn
The program combines health economics and health management with general management studies and scientific research. You will learn to structure complex situations, make informed judgments, and implement them effectively. Experienced instructors with an academic and a professional background will support you as you advance your knowledge of health economics and healthcare management and will enable you to develop a professional network while completing your studies. This will allow you to create the ideal conditions for a successful career in the health care sector.
Your Career Prospects
- Project management, scientific project work
- Assisting executive board members and district managers
- Key account management
- Qualified staff responsibilities (e.g., strategic planning, process development, quality management)
- Consulting/business analysis
- Hospitals and hospices
- Medical and accident insurers
- Social care
- Outpatient care (Medical practitioners, Spitex, dentists)
- Pharmaceutical sector
- Pharmacies and drugstores
- Associations and foundations
Program Structure and Admission Requirements
Flexible and Practically Oriented
The program takes four semesters to complete and will enable you to hold a part-time position of up to 50% due to a well-balanced study load and block seminars. Nearly half of the program is devoted to applied research. You will acquire advanced academic research competencies, conduct application-oriented research projects, and write an academic Master's thesis on a research question of practical relevance.
What You Need to Qualify
Applicants are admitted to the program subject to an application procedure. Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- A Bachelor's degree in Business Administration from an officially recognized academic university or university of applied sciences.
- Successful completion of a related degree program worth at least 180 ECTS credits and high grades in the relevant subjects.
- Excellent communication skills in Germand and English.