Doing a PhD at the ZHAW School of Management and Law
Cooperative PhD programs promote research at the ZHAW School of Management and Law and help to answer topical research questions of business and society at a methodologically advanced level.
I would like to do a doctorate. What opportunities can the ZHAW School of Management and Law offer me?
Cooperative doctoral programs of Swiss universities and the ZHAW School of Management and Law are currently available in the following disciplines:
- Public Administration
- Network in Data Science
- Public Health Sciences for Universities of Applied Sciences (SSPH+UAS)
Access to universities abroad:
- For details, please visit the SML Intranet and click on Doktorierendencockpit: "Zugang zu Universitäten" (only with ZHAW login)
How will the ZHAW School of Management and Law support me and my PhD project?
- Financial support
- Research time
- Various support offerings
- For details, please visit the SML Intranet: “Doktorandencockpit” (only with ZHAW login).
ZHAW is currently developing a concept for a framework for the funding of doctoral students. As a result, the ZHAW School of Management and Law will also adapt its funding concept and HR policy.
- The ZHAW School of Management and Law can provide financial and/or time support for the doctoral studies of employees with long-term contracts as an investment in their qualifications. This regulation applies to WiMa II, WiMa III, and lecturers with scientific potential. Individual cases may also be decided on merit.
- The ZHAW School of Management and Law primarily supports PhD projects that are related to one of its main research areas.
- The thesis topic is agreed directly between the doctoral student and the supervising professors of the university and the university of applied sciences in question. PhD students do not have a right to be supervised.
- The title is awarded by the university. The regulations of the respective university therefore apply.
- Individual agreements are concluded between the ZHAW School of Management and Law and the doctoral students to regulate all details.
- Doctoral students are expected not only to have a high degree of independence and discipline, but also to actively exchange ideas with the contact persons in the institutes and staff unit and to take part in events aimed at doctoral students at the ZHAW School of Management and Law.
The PhD Community
Doctoral students at the ZHAW School of Management and Law exchange ideas with each other at an annual research colloquium and a brown bag lunch. These events are independent of the obligations of the respective doctoral programs.
The Next Step
A PhD project requires careful planning and preparation in both the professional and the private environment. We are at your disposal for a consultation.