Admission Requirements and Application Process
Learn more about the main requirements and how to apply for an exchange semester at the ZHAW School of Management and Law.
Incoming students at the ZHAW School of Management and Law must meet the requirements for study abroad set by their home universities. In addition, the following requirements laid down by the ZHAW School of Management and Law must also be met:
1. Incoming students must have completed at least two semesters at their home institution before their departure.
2. Since the language of instruction is either German or English, incoming students must have good skills in one or both of these languages. As proof of sufficient language skills, the following certificates at B2+/C1 level as stipulated by the Common European Framework of References (CEFR) are accepted:
- TOEFL 550 PBT / 79 iBT
- IELTS 6.5
- Cambridge Advanced (CAE)
- Cambridge Business Higher (BEC)
- Official confirmation letter of language proficiency from home institution
- Successfully completed International Baccalaureate (IB) in English
How to Apply for Your Exchange
The application process is coordinated between the international offices of the partner schools. Are you interested in a study exchange at the ZHAW School of Management and Law? Please follow the following five steps:
Consult with your home university to clarify its requirements for studying abroad and apply through its International Office. Once you have applied at your home university, it will send us your nomination details.
You will receive a confirmation e-mail from us with all information and documents needed for the ZHAW SML online application process, including the study proposal, which will serve as pre-registration for the modules (classes). Final module registration will take place during Orientation Week.
Apply online for your semester/year abroad before the deadline (20 May for the fall semester, 20 October for the spring semester).
After we have processed your completed application, you will receive your letter of acceptance from us as well as further relevant information regarding available accommodation, visa process regulations, Swiss health insurance obligations, etc.
We will welcome all new exchange students during the mandatory Orientation Week, where we will guide you through your first days and you will be able to get to know each other.
For applications to the ZHAW School of Management and Law, the following deadlines apply:
|What||Fall Semester||Spring Semester|
|Nomination from home university||15 May||15 October|
|ZHAW online application||20 May||20 October|
Students from institutes which do not have an exchange agreement with the ZHAW School of Management and Law may apply directly to the International Office of ZHAW SML as so-called “freemovers.” However, as there is only a limited number of places available each semester, we recommend that you enquire about availability in advance by emailing the International Office. If an application is possible, your documents will be reviewed by the Director of International Relations and the head of the respective degree program at the ZHAW School of Management and Law. As a freemover, you will pay the ZHAW tuition fee of CHF 720 per semester (excluding license fees, as of January 2019) plus an additional fee for foreign students of CHF 500 per semester.
Freemover applicants need to provide:
- A motivation letter indicating why they wish to study at the ZHAW SML
- Proof of language proficiency at C1 level or higher
- A transcript of their academic record from their home university
- A letter of support from a faculty member of their home university
- A letter of approval from the International Office of their home university