Delete search term


Quick navigation

Main navigation

Preparation and Financial Support

In order to be perfectly prepared for the upcoming exchange, we recommend that all incoming students take care of accommodation, insurance, visa requirements, and possible financial support in good time.


The city of Winterthur has many attractive residential areas and a high standard of living. Incoming students of the ZHAW SML can rent a room reserved for exchange students in a student residence or a private room in a shared flat or with a host family. Incoming students receive support in their search for accommodation from the International Office.

Student Residences

Two well-known providers of student accommodation are WOKO and Livit AG.

A selection of furnished single rooms is reserved especially for ZHAW SML incoming students in WOKO's Camp AXA. The rooms are between 12 and 17 m2 (183 square feet) and cost between CHF 645 and CHF 795 per month. As the number of reserved rooms is limited, early registration is recommended. Rooms are rented for a period of six months (01 August to 31 January and 01 February to 31 July).


Health Insurance

Basic health insurance is required by law in Switzerland. Students from the European Union are exempt from this obligation, provided they submit a copy of their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which must be valid for the entire duration of their stay. Students from non-EU countries, on the other hand, must buy a Swiss insurance policy in Switzerland. They must do so within three months after their arrival in Switzerland. The SML cooperates with Swiss insurance companies, and the International Office provides detailed information about the application for Swiss health insurance during Orientation Week. Premium: CHF 61 to CHF 99 per month.

Liability Insurance

Liability insurance covers damage to other persons and property caused by the policy holder. Liability insurance is not legally required and no proof of such insurance is necessary for enrollment at the ZHAW School of Management and Law. However, it is recommended that exchange students are insured against unexpected damage. Before their departure from their home countries, students should check with their insurer whether their insurance covers liability during stays abroad. Students wishing to take out liability insurance cover in Switzerland can do so for about CHF 100 to CHF 150 per year.

Visa Requirements

Visa requirements for studying abroad in Switzerland vary from country to country. However, the following always applies:

A confirmation of study from the host university is required for the visa application. This is issued by the International Office of the SML. Upon arrival in Switzerland, the International Office assists incoming students with the formalities for obtaining a residence permit at the Residents' Registration Office (Einwohnerkontrolle) of the City of Winterthur.

Swiss Embassies and Consulates

Financial Solvency

To process the visa application, the Migration Office of the Canton of Zurich requires confirmation of the financial solvency of students from non-EU countries for the duration of their stay in Switzerland in the amount of CHF 1,750 per month.

Evidence can be provided in various forms:

Financial Support

Most incoming students from Europe complete their study abroad semester on the basis of the Swiss-European Mobility Program (SEMP). Within the context of the SEMP, you can apply for a mobility grant of between CHF 1900 and CHF 2200 per semester, depending on your country of origin.

In many cases, the home countries of incoming students also have public or private organizations with connections to education who provide additional financial support for overseas study visits. It is certainly worth inquiring through the contact person at your home university or conducting your own research.