CAS Swiss Biodesign for MedTech Innovators
The CAS Swiss Biodesign for MedTech Innovators provides future innovation leaders with tools to identify major market opportunities and invent high potential products in the field of MedTech, HealthTech and Invitro Diagnostics.
This course is modelled on the pioneering Biodesign training concept of Stanford University, that has been adopted by leading universities around the world. Participants will benefit from lectures by Stanford and local faculty, top tier MedTech innovators and medical experts, clinical immersion and an exclusive international network.
At a glance
Qualification: CAS Swiss Biodesign for MedTech Innovators (12 ECTS)
Duration: 18 August 2020 - 07 November 2020 (12 weekdays, 4 Saturdays)
Costs: CHF 11'800.00
Comment on costs:
An early-bird fee reduction of CHF 1000.-- is applicable for applications received by March 16.
The fee includes tuition, extensive group coaching, the Stanford Biodesign textbook, other reading materials, exam fees, and related social events. Not included are traveling expenses and hotel accommodation (except for seminar hotel to start Module 1). Please contact us, if interested in the corporate participant packages, or hospital scholarships.
Campus ZHAW Winterthur & Zurich, partner hospitals, off-site hotel.
Language of instruction: English
«The course was incredible: An amazing quality of speakers from the beginning to the end and the hands-on experience to run through the whole process of innovation. As far as I know, a one of its kind in this part of Europe.»
Jonathan Douissard, MD and Staff Surgeon, University Hospital of Geneva, Swiss Biodesign Alumni 2019
Objectives and content
This training aims at aspiring corporate intrapreneurs and start-up entrepreneurs passionate about developing radically new medical technology.
Candidates must possess at least three years of professional healthcare experience in e.g. medicine, clinical research, product management, sales, business development, R&D, or software development.
The program is limited to 12 participants (max. 2 of the same company) to ensure a highly effective learning and coaching experience.
- Empowering future innovation leaders to initiate and successfully commercialize high-risk product innovations and drive change within your organisation
- Systematically identifying unmet needs and ideating innovative solutions
- Objectively validating needs, concepts and market potential
- Accelerating projects with in-depth understanding of design thinking tools
- Understanding board and investor criteria for compelling business cases
- Addressing common pitfalls in health technology projects in start-ups and corporations
- Benefiting from hands-on experience of serial-innovators and industry experts
«The Swiss Biodesign Bootcamp has taught me invaluable tools around product innovation that I will continue to use in everyday life. I now have a different way of thinking and have met incredible people along the journey.»
Pryanka Chadha, Masters BioMedical Eng, Technology Risk Analyst, PWC London, Swiss Biodesign Alumni 2019
The course will build upon the industry-leading Stanford Biodesign process and textbook:
Biodesign – The Process of Innovating Medical Technologies
- Design thinking
- Needs finding and selection
- Disease and current treatment standards
- Global health technology market
- MedTech regulation US and Europe
- MedTech regulation Europe
- MedTech reimbursement
- Business case analysis
- Patent search
- Funding options
- Clinical study overview
- Startup and corporate challenges
- Concept development and testing
Workshops, coaching and insider talks will provide ample opportunity for direct interaction with experts.
Methods of instruction include lectures, creativity workshops, study of genuine cases and interdisciplinary group work, e.g.:
- Several days of clinical immersion in clinics and operating rooms
- Interdisciplinary exercises and group work
- Shadowing and interviews of physicians, nurses and patients
- Coaching by senior industry experts and entrepreneurs
- Frequent presentations
An online test on the pre-readings (25%), a presentation of the customer needs validation to conclude Block I (25%) and the presentation and report of the final product and business concept at the end of Block II (50%).
Part-time course with classes from 8.30 am to 5.30 pm plus evening group work. Participants are expected to be proficient in oral & written English.
«My personal highlight of the past five years. The course provides the missing piece on how to come to a real need-based business case and provides everything to go one step further.»
Christian Frei, Master Audiologist, Senior Custom Project Leader, Sonova, Stäfa Swiss Biodesign Alumni 2019
Enquiries and contact
- Tom Krummel, MD, Emile Holman Professor and Co-Director, Stanford Byers Center for Biodesign, Stanford University
- Orestis Vardoulis, PhD, Stanford Biodesign Alumni, Stanford Pediatric Hospital
- Mathias Bonmarin, PhD, Senior Researcher, Computational Physics, ZHAW
- Philippe Etter, Msc, Senior Partner, Medidée
- Rainer Fuchs, Prof. and Head of Product Management, ZHAW
- Ulrich Geilinger, PhD, Seasoned Health Care Investor, HBM Partners
- Laurent Grandidier, MBA, former CEO Xeltis and serial-entrepreneur
- Patrick Griss, PhD, Executive Partner, Zühlke Ventures
- Jens Haarmann, PhD, Senior Lecturer, Health Care Marketing, ZHAW
- Christian Muehlendyck, MD, MBA, Director Health Economics & Market Access, Johnson & Johnson DACH
- Markus Ott, MSc, Head Global Market Access & Health Policy, Roche Diagnostics
- Jess Snedeker, Prof. and Chair of Orthopedic Biomechanics, ETH Zürich
- Philipp Tholen, VP Product & Operations AvaWomen
- Heiko Visarius, PhD, GM Visartis and Start-up Coach
Offered in cooperation with
- Master’s, MD or PhD university diploma
- At least 3 years of professional healthcare experience
- Proof of English proficiency (equivalent to CEFR C1 level)
- An international mindset, team-player qualities and a proven track record of having advanced innovative projects
- The program is limited to 12 high potential participants (max. of 2 from the same organisation)
Information for applicants
- Application period will start January 6th, 2020, with latest course information published
- One page motivational letter, CV and latest diplomas
- Two reference letters from supervisors / project partners
- Please email your complete application to email@example.com
- An early-bird fee reduction of CHF 1000.-- is applicable for applications received by March 1st
- Don't hesitate to contact the program management for any questions
|Start||Application deadline||Registration link|