Section of 3D Tissues and Biofabrication
The goal of our research activities is to culture human cells in an environment as close as possible to the in vivo situation. To do so, we employ different three-dimensional (3D) cell culture systems. Depending on the application the cells are cultured in scaffold-free or in scaffold-based systems. In our laboratory we successfully use the promising 3D bioprinting technology for many years. Bioprinting allows producing living tissues in a layer-by-layer mode by depositing cells, (extracellular) matrix and bioactive molecules precisely in 3D space. The 3D tissues are developed for drug and substance testing, as well as for personalized medicine.
Our developments are used in areas such as
- Bioprinting and bioink development
- Primary human cell cultures (healthy, cancer)
- Scaffold-free and scaffold-based 3D cell cultures
- Automated 3D cell cultures
- Development of fluidic cell culture systems
- Tissues of interest : muscle, tendon, liver, kidney, skin, osteosarcoma
- Applications : drug and substance testing, personalized medicine
Our research laboratories provide a modern infrastructure and methodological expertise.
We offer our project partners a wide range of cooperation opportunities. Customized solutions are provided in the frame of Bachelor’s and Master’s theses and directly or third party funded projects (CTI, SNF, Foundations, EU projects).