Strategic and operational management
The ZHAW is a legally independent university which is part of the Zurich University of Applied Sciences and Arts (ZFH). The Council of the Zurich Universities of Applied Sciences and Arts is responsible for the strategic management and the Executive Board for the operational management.
Council of the Zurich Universities of Applied Sciences and Arts
The Council of the Zurich Universities of Applied Sciences and Arts (FHR) is the highest body of the ZFH. The Council is responsible for the strategic management of the ZFH universities. Its functions and competences are governed by the Zurich cantonal legislation on Universities of Applied Sciences of 2 April, 2007. It is chaired by the Head of the Department of Education of the Canton of Zurich. Members are elected for a term of four years and may be re-elected twice.
Members of the Council
- Government Councillor Silvia Steiner, President
- Meret Ernst
- Gabi Hildesheimer
- Urs Hofmann
- Matthias Kaiserswerth
- Jürgen Oelkers
- Andrea Schenker-Wicki
The Executive Board is responsible for the operational management of the ZHAW. It consists of the President, the Managing Director and the Deans of the eight Schools. The President heads the University, chairs the Executive Board, and represents the ZHAW externally. To ensure that the University is run on uniform principles and to encourage cooperation, individual members of the Board are also responsible for trans-departmental affairs.
- Prof. Dr. Oya Atalay Franck, Dean, School of Architecture, Design and Civil Engineering, Head of Continuing Education
- Prof Dr. Andreas Gerber-Grote, Dean, School of Health Professions, Head of Research & Development
- Prof. Dr. Urs Hilber, Dean, School of Life Sciences and Facility Management
- Prof. Dr. Daniel Perrin, Dean, School of Applied Linguistics, Head of International Affairs
- Prof. Dr. Jean-Marc Piveteau, President, Head of Academic Affairs a.i. until 31.7.2020
- Reto Schnellmann, Managing Director
- Prof. Dr. Christoph Steinebach, Dean, School of Applied Psychology
- Prof. Dr. Reto Steiner, Dean, School of Management and Law, Head of Academic Affairs from 1.8.2020
- Prof. Dr. Dirk Wilhelm, a.i. Dean, School of Engineering
- Dr. Frank Wittmann, Dean, School of Social Work a.i.
In accordance with Article 26 of the Federal Universities of Applied Sciences Act, the University Conference (HSV) is an integral part of the University and constitutes the official representative body of the Zurich University of Applied Sciences. The University Conference represents all members of the ZHAW. Half of the delegates are lecturers and teaching staff, one quarter non-teaching staff, and one quarter representatives from the student body.
Contact: Peter Stücheli-Herlach, President