Intercultural Competence for Leaders
At a glance
Certificate of attendance «Intercultural Competence for Leaders I»
This course will take place at the premises of the IAP Institute of Applied Psychology
Language of instruction:
Objectives and content
- Management Members (line managers, project managers, HR managers, senior managers and executives) who work in intercultural contexts such as global teams or projects within their own culture or abroad, currently or in the near future
- Consultants and coaches
- Raising awareness of cultural differences in an international working environment
- Creating understanding about cultural concepts, competencies and dimensions
- Testing and applying strategies for communicating successfully and appropriately in intercultural and multicultural settings
- Linking the findings with personal experiences as a leading manager
Leading and managing teams and units in complex and multidimensional settings is a reality for many executives and project managers. This implies that communication and working strategies need to reflect the diverse cultural and professional backgrounds of employees, clients, stakeholders or peers appropriately.
Leadership does not end at the national border nor at the cultural barriers. Understanding one’s own cultural heritage and the context of the culture of our counterparts is vital in order to communicate in an appropriate, goal and resource oriented way.
This course is designed to allow leaders to understand and incorporate principles of different communication patterns. The personal intercultural competencies will be uncovered and various communication styles will be evaluated and practiced.
As the exchange of practical case studies and experiences between the participants is an essential element of this course, active participation and openness for reflection will be required of the participants.
This course provides short inputs about current research, combined with activities to reflect upon personal past experiences. It also provides room to experiment with alternative ways of handling intercultural incidents.
In addition to the classroom training, participants are asked to complete some tasks pre and post course:
- Reading course materials
- Handing in a short description of a critical incident they have experienced in an intercultural setting
- Attending supportive team coaching in small groups on actual cultural challenges
Enquiries and contact
Director of studies
Tel. +41 58 934 40 78
Coordinator Continuing education
IAP Institute of Applied Psychology
General terms and conditions
|Start||Application deadline||Registration link|
Downloads and brochure
Äquivalentes Kursangebot mit Stefanie Neumann (7.-10. Februar 2022). Anmeldung ab 09.2021: Summer / Winter School | ZHdK.ch