The Institute of Translation and Interpreting (IUED) carries out applied research in five main areas with an emphasis on the practical application of results.
As a matter of policy, the IUED focuses on applied research with an emphasis on the practical application of results. Research projects are conducted in cooperation with European universities but also with public authorities, non-profit organisations (e.g. University Hospital of Basel or Spitex) and well-known companies (e.g. CLS Communication, Zurich or Star AG, Ramsen).
In our research, we address questions such as:
- How do translation processes work?
- How do professional interpreters differ from untrained language mediators?
- How can the needs of different target readers be identified and fulfilled?
- How can methods of barrier-free communication be standardised and high quality guaranteed?
- How can a product be described to suit the needs of a specific target audience?