Food from Wood
Production of edible insects with woody materials
At a glance
- Project leader : Prof. Dr. Jürg Grunder
- Deputy of project leader : Daniel Ambühl
- Project team : Tom Bischof, Pascal Herren
- Project budget : CHF 350'000
- Project status : completed
- Funding partner : Federal government (Bundesamt für Landwirtschaft BLW)
- Contact person : Jürg Grunder
Food from Wood is a research project about edible insects, which do not feed on staple food of humans. Rhinoceros beetles and flower chafers stand in focus. The larvae spend their development inside the soil until pupation and they feed on dead wood. After pupation, the larvae can be sieved out of the substrate and further processed to a food item. The frass of the larvae can potentially be used as a plant substrate in horticulture. In the end, a handbook will be published, which describes the whole process of the production of these insects.
Herren, Pascal; Grunder, Jürg,
2019(2), pp. 22-23.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.21256/zhaw-18363