Novel Catheter Tracking System - NoCaTS
At a glance
- Project leader : Lasse Nipkow, Mauro Sette, Prof. Dr. Hans Wernher van de Venn
- Project team : Gauri Chetan Deshmukh, Anita Di Iasio, Michal Jerzy Malinowski
- Project budget : CHF 1'414'528
- Project status : completed
- Funding partner : CTI (SERI), EU and other international programmes (FP7)
- Project partner : Medyria AG, Winterthur
- Contact person : Hans Wernher van de Venn
The aim of the NoCaTS (Novel Catheter Tracking System) project is to develop a system for tracking catheters without having to use contrast dye.
NoCaTS provides a revolutionary catheter tracking system with an integrated sensor applying the Trackcath method. The catheter visualization is normally performed with fluoroscopy, but the visualization of side branches is only possible with the use of contrast dye. The dye is flushed after 1 second, and for this reason the surgeons need to make many injections using a big quantity of dye. The Trackcath technology enables the tracking of a catheter respect to anatomical landmark, such as the renal arteries.