1st European COST Conference on Mathematics for Industry in Switzerland
We would like to welcome you to the «1st COST Conference on Mathematics for Industry in Switzerland», hosted by the Institute of Applied Mathematics and Physics and the Institute of Data Analysis and Process Design at the Zurich University of Applied Sciences ZHAW in Winterthur, Switzerland.
1st COST Conference on Mathematics for Industry in Switzerland
September 15, 2016 - ZHAW Winterthur, Technikumstrasse 9, 8400 Winterthur
We aim to bring European academics, young researchers, students and industrial practitioners together to promote «Mathematics for Industry» in Switzerland. We want to promote «Mathematics for Industry» in Switzerland, similar to what ECMI is doing on an European-wide level.
We have three thematic workshops, focusing on Industrial Mathematics, Mathematics for Smart Maintenance, and Financial Mathematics.
All lectures are open to the public. Please register for this event.
- Conference Date: Thursday, September 15, 2016
- Conference Location: ZHAW Winterthur, Technikumstrasse 9, 8400 Winterthur, Laborgebäude (TL)
- Anastasios Badarlis, Endress+Hauser Flowtec AG: "Parametric reduced order modeling applied to thermal property sensor"(PDF 89,4 KB)
- Dr. Peter Fusek, ZHAW: "Optimized Staff Scheduling at Swissport"(PDF 32,4 KB)
- Prof. Dr. Joachim Giesen, Universität Jena: "A review of of the alternating direction method of multipliers for distributed optimization"(PDF 33,5 KB)
- Björn Heitmann, Bruker BioSpin AG: "Spectroscopy meets AI"(PDF 37,6 KB)
- Stefan Janacek, uni software plus gmbh: "What makes the pipeline dense?"(PDF 524,6 KB)
- Dr. Vivek Kumar, Endress+Hauser Flowtec AG: "Multiphysics simulations of flow measurement sensors"(PDF 65,2 KB)
- Roman Mäder, MathConsult AG: "Parallel Computing with the Wolfram Language on the TACC/Wrangler Supercomputer"(PDF 34,7 KB)
- Dr. Simone Ulzega, EAWAG: "A Hamiltonian Monte Carlo-based method for boosting Bayesian parameter inference of stochastic differential equation models"(PDF 60,8 KB)
Mathematics for Smart Maintenance
- Patrick De Causmaeker, Professor of Computer Science, KU Leuven, Head of CODeS@KULAK: "Modeling, learning and solving dynamic problems by meta- and hyper- heuristics in maintenance"(PDF 11,7 KB) (presentation(PDF 1,0 MB))
- Pierre Dersin, Ph.D., Alstom: "PHM for Rail Maintenance Management: at the cross-roads between data science and physics"(PDF 80,0 KB) (presentation(PDF 2,2 MB))
- Prof. Dr. Diego Galar, Lulea University of Technology: "Prognosis, Diagnosis and Maintenance Decision Support Systems: A mathematical approach"(PDF 273,5 KB) (presentation(PDF 7,8 MB))
- Dr. Yang Hu, Research Associate, Institute for Data Analysis and Process Design, Zurich University of Applied Sciences: "Deep Detection: An Unsupervised Representation to Detect Anomalies in Raw Condition Monitoring Signals"(PDF 78,9 KB) (presentation(PDF 1,9 MB))
- Bob Huisman, Manager Maintenance Development, NedTrain: "Condition Based Logistics: Calculation of Process Capacity"(PDF 9,1 KB) (presentation(PDF 1,3 MB))
- Francesco Mari, Vice President Product and Innovation Strategy Internet of Things and Customer Innovation, SAP: "Predictive Maintenance beyond Prediction of Failures (PDF 9,0 KB)(presentation(PDF 5,0 MB))
- Dr. Bruce Stephen CEng MBCS SMIEEE, Senior Research Fellow Advanced Electrical Systems Research Group, University of Strathclyde: "Domain Knowledge and Data Analytics: Towards a Holistic Approach to Power System Condition Monitoring and Asset Management"(PDF 56,2 KB) (presentation(PDF 1,6 MB))
- Dr. Andreas Binder, CEO MathConsult GmbH: "Stability Issues in Computational Finance"(PDF 107,5 KB)
- Dr. Jürgen Hakala, Managing Director, Leonteq Securities: "Networks of Believe for Regulated Markets in Foreign Exchange"(PDF 7,7 KB)
- Dr. Ulrich Nögel, Big-xyt, Co-Founder, Analytics: "Challenges for Big Data Analysis in The Post-Crisis Regulatory Environment"(PDF 11,0 KB)
- Dr. Wolfgang Putschögl, FVP Deputy Head of Unit Risk Methodology and Valuation, UniCredit Bank Austria: "The XVA conundrum"(PDF 7,8 KB)
- Dr. Olivier Schmid, Fisch Asset Management GmbH: "Optimization Methods in Momentum Strategies"(PDF 113,3 KB)
- Sandro Schmid, Head of Swiss Risk Association: "Robo-Advisor in Asset Management 2.0"(PDF 7,7 KB)
- Prof. Dr. Stephan Sturm, Worcester Polytechnic Institute: "From Smile Wings to Market Risk Measures"(PDF 8,3 KB)
- Prof. Dr. Uwe Wystup, University of Antwerpen, Managing Director at MathFinance AG: "Volatility as investment - crash protection with calendar spreads of variance swaps"(PDF 8,3 KB)
We want to leave the topic open as «Mathematics for Industry», but put a thematic focus on:
- Mathematics for small, medium and large European companies from the mechanical and electrical industry, but also life sciences.
- Mathematics for the European Fintech industry, banks and insurance companies
- Industrial Particle and Interface Dynamics
- Semi-classical and quantum transport in semiconductors and low dimensional materials
- Simulation, Model Order Reduction and Robust Optimization for Industrial Robotics and E-Mobility Applications
- Advanced Imaging for Industrial Application
- Optimization and Optimization-based Control Methods for Industrial Applications
- Modelling and Optimization of Interacting Particle Systems
- Multiphysics simulations with industrial applications
- Multiphysics simulation in electrical engineering
- Simulation supported life sciences, i.e. drug design, design of micro- and nanofluidics, MEMS for life sciences.
- Operations Research
- Smarter Energy and Transportation
- Industry 4.0
Mathematics for Smart Maintenance
- Advances in condition monitoring approaches
- Feature extraction and selection
- Feature learning
- Advances in methodology for fault detection and diagnostics
- Decision support systems in condition-based and predictive maintenance
- Uncertainty quantification for PHM approaches
- Dynamic maintenance job scheduling
- Dynamic logistic planning in maintenance
- Performance evaluation of detection, diagnostics and prognostics methods
- Application of multi-agent learning in condition-based and predictive maintenance
- Application of prognostics and health management (PHM) approaches in energy and transportation
- Algorithmic trading
- Big data and digitalization
- Mathematical challenges for the Fintech industry
- Current challenges in Computational Finance
- Current challenges in risk management
- Quantitative trading models
- Financial mathematics for asset managers and hedge funds
- Portfolio optimization
- Registration: 11:30
- Lunch: 11:30-12:30
- Welcome: 12:30
- Keynote: 12:45
- Thematic Sessions: 13:30-15:30, 16:00-18:00
- Closing: 18:00
- A printable schedule (PDF 292,6 KB)in PDF format is also available.
The conference venue is situated at a walking distance of 450 metres from the station.
From the Zürich airport local transport brings you to the centre of Winterthur in just 20 minutes.
The conference takes place in a short walking distance to the train station. Numerous hotels in the immediate vicinity will ensure a pleasant stay in Winterthur
The trains run as often as every 15 to 20 minutes from Zürich Airport and Zürich City and take about 15 minutes to arrive in Winterthur.
From the main railway-station, the conference location can be reached within a walking distance of less than 5 minutes.