Cocoa in Numbers – from data to knowledge
At a glance
- Project leader : Dr. Irene Chetschik
- Co-project leader : Karin Chatelain, Prof. Dr. Susanne Miescher Schwenninger, Monika Schneider, Monika Schneider , Matthias Stucki, Sonja Trachsel, Dr. Robert Vorburger, Sylvia Wick
- Deputy of project leader : Prof. Dr. Tilo Hühn
- Project team : Amandine André, Susette Freimüller Leischtfeld, Regula Keller, Markus Kneubühl, Katrin Kremer-Hartmann, Stefanie Streule, Lisa Ullrich, Erich Zbinden
- Project budget : CHF 370'000
- Project status : completed
- Funding partner : Internal
- Project partner : Forschungsinstitut für biologischen Landbau FiBL
- Contact person : Irene Chetschik
Nowadays consumers of cocoa and chocolate products are not only interested in safe high-quality products but also in products which are sustainable and produced under fair ecological and social conditions. The demand for transparency of information on the condition of cultivation, production and trade as well as on food safety and quality aspects is growing for both the consumers and the people involved along the cocoa value chain. For this reason, the goal of this interdisciplinary project is to generate a database, combining information along the cocoa value chain from the angles of different research disciplines such as agronomy, food microbiology/food biotechnology, food sensory, food quality, life cycle assessment and socio-economic impact. The set up of the data base will be done based on a selected model experiment under defined agricultural condition, allowing insights into aspects of the before mentioned research dimensions. By the establishment of this independent database we envision to promote transparency, quality, safety and sustainability along the cocoa value chain as well as the biodiversity and fair cocoa farming.
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
70(42), pp. 13730-13740.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.2c04166
Transfer English edition.
2022(2), pp. 16.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.21256/zhaw-27413
Chatelain, Karin; André, Amandine; Freimüller Leischtfeld, Susette; Schneider, Monika; Wick, Sylvia; Keller, Regula; Trachsel, Sonja; Waldner, Tim; Vorburger, Robert; Miescher Schwenninger, Susanne; Chetschik, Irene,
10th Round Table Cocoa, Hamburg, Germany, 2-3 June 2022.
Tropentag 2020 : food and nutrition security and its resilience to global crises, online, 9-11 September 2020.
ZHAW Zürcher Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.21256/zhaw-20477