Section of Functional Materials and Nanotechnology
The focus of the section of Functional Materials and Nanotechnology is the modification and analysis of surfaces and the development of applications in the following areas of chemistry and biology.
- Functional- and biomaterials
- Surface analysis
- Filtration technology in industrial chemistry
Opportunities for cooperation are given within the framework of research and development projects, service contracts, or Bachelor and Master theses in the areas of:
- development of new modified surfaces using nanotechnology (e.g. Langmuir Blodgett technology, layer-by-layer coating)
- development of nanofibers based membranes for filtration applications
- application development in the field of nanotubes and meso porous silica
- MIPs (Molecularly Imprinted Polymers) for customized absorption
- encapsulation and controlled release of pharmaceutical actives using nano fibers
- stabilization of molecules by encapsulation in nano porous materials
- materials for light management (e.g. light collectors for solar cells)
- development of new column materials for chromatography
- synthesis of Janus particles and investigation of their properties
- analysis and assessment of surfaces using scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and atomic force microscopy (AFM)
- analysis of surfaces using confocal Raman microscopy
- measurement of surface charge (zeta potential) of powder, fibers, membranes, woven and non-woven fabrics using streaming potential measurements
- in vivo/in vitro skin penetration studies of actives
- consulting on the selection of appropriate filtration systems and filter aid
- systematic analysis and selection of filter aids
- depth filter sheets development - use of new fibers and / or inorganic materials
- tailor-made filtration products for the specific removal of contaminations
- services for optimizing industrial filtration processes
- field emission scanning electron microscope (SEM) with EDX
- atomic force microscope (AFM)
- zeta potential meter
- BET surface measurement
- Pore size analysis
- X-ray fluorescence spectrometer
- confocal Raman microscopy (532, 671, 785, 1064 nm)
- confocal Fluorescence microscopy
- River Diagnostics Model 3510 Raman Skin Composition Analyzer
- laboratory filtration plant
- Jetlab system for rapid prototyping
- electrospinning equipment for technical scale applications
- Langmuir Blodgett technology for molecular monolayers
- dynamic contact angle measurement
Zhai, Lina; Adlhart, Christian; Spano, Fabrizio; Innocenti Malini, Riccardo; Piątek, Agnieszka K.; Li, Jun; Rossi, René M.,
Available from: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-24647-x
Kang, Chengjun; Honciuc, Andrei,
The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters.
9(6), pp. 1415-1421.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpclett.8b00206
Zucchetto, Nicola; Brühwiler, Dominik,
Chemistry of Materials.
30(20), pp. 7280-7286.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.chemmater.8b03603
Adlhart, Christian; Verran, Joanna; Azevedo, Nuno F.; Olmez, Hulya; Keinänen-Toivola, Minna M.; Gouveia, Isabel; Melo, Luis F.; Crijns, Francy,
Journal of Hospital Infection.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2018.01.018
Reber, Michael; Zucchetto, Nicola; Brühwiler, Dominik,
72(3), pp. 158-159.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.2533/chimia.2017.158