Master of Science in Life Sciences - Food and Beverage Innovation
You create innovative solutions for the food and beverage industry. You recognise innovation as a complex process and know how to develop new products and processes effectively, from feedstock to finished product. You are an expert in the fields of technology, food, packaging, supply chain, strategy and design.
As a Master's graduate, you will have the skillset to analyse and evaluate product-specific and process-related relationships. You will understand the economic and political contexts relevant to your industry. You will be able to think outside the box, move beyond the constraints of disciplinary boundaries and develop innovative, integrative solutions.
This means that you will have excellent career opportunities in various sectors of the food industry, but equally at universities, authorities, and national and international organisations.
"With my Master's studies, I wanted to gain in-depth knowledge in the fields of scientific work and business skills. Together with an industrial partner, I was able to work on a practical issue over a longer period."
Simon Hutter, SAP - Process Champion Product Development at Emmi Group
read more - in German (PDF 463,8 KB)
You are fascinated by topics such as: Food trends in general, alternative proteins, vegetable proteins, sustainable food packaging, biopackaging, intelligent packaging, snackification, clean eating, fermentation, food from secondary flows, food safety, food process development, consumer science, food sensor technology, reduction food waste, preventing food loss or food waste, nutritional behavior and needs, resource planning across the entire food supply chain, digitisation in the food sector, or simply food and beverage innovation.
You hold a Bachelor's degree in: Food technology, food science, ecotrophology, beverage technology or similar (admission with other degrees may be granted at the programme directors' discretion).
- actively influence the future of the food industry.
- develop sustainable products and processes across the entire food value chain and successfully position them on the market.
- combine your knowledge of technology, nutrition, packaging, strategy and design to create successful innovative concepts while taking economic, societal, environmental, nutritional and public health issues into account.
- demonstrate your creative problem-solving abilities and combine entrepreneurial and scientific thinking.
- plan, implement, evaluate and present large-scale research and development projects.
- combine science skills with socio-economic skills, and technical skills with social and personal skills to make your future career a lasting success.
- perform the interesting and multi-faceted managerial tasks of today’s food industry, in areas such as product and process development, marketing, interface functions, government agencies and universities.
"Thanks to the modular structure, I was able to tailor my studies to my needs and interests. As a project manager, today I plan and conduct food tastings worldwide. The statistical evaluation of the assessment of certain sensory factors allows my customers to improve their products."
Thorsten Guksch, project manager at SAM Sensory Marketing International GmbH
for video portrait - in German (YouTube)
- We offer a customisable Master's programme which you can complete in 3, 4, 5 or 6 semesters.
- The program offers an attractive mix of research, science, practice and business modules.
- You will have the opportunity to grow both as a professional and as a person, and to evolve into a sought-after specialist with leadership skills.
- We offer exciting research projects for your Master's thesis.
- You will be able to join a research group, where you can practice skills such as teamwork, critical thinking, and taking initiative.
- You will benefit from small class sizes in the specialisation modules, which offer interactive learning activities that will allow you to take charge.
- Our unique FBI mentoring programme.
"A desire to learn and an appetite for more will help you move forward. A Master's in our specialisation "Food and Beverage Innovation", will allow you to develop your skillset in a way that is tailored and beneficial to you."
- utilise your extensive scientific knowledge and practical experience and shape the success of products and process innovations in the food sector from idea to implementation.
- develop and implement sustainable, creative solutions for new products and processes while taking every stage of the value-added chain as well as relevant eneconomic, social and public health issues into account
- understand innovation as a process for developing sustainable products and processes.
- manage innovation and devise strategic plans for products and concepts in the food industry.
The picture above shows the general structure of a full-time Master's programme. Students design their own study paths and choose their own focal points.
Together with your supervisor, you design your own individual study plan from the range of compulsory and elective modules. The selected modules are recorded in your individual study agreement (planning).
During your studies, you will expand your personal skillset not only in terms of technical expertise and methodology, but also in terms of self-management. The practice-oriented focus of the Master's thesis encourages creative problem solving, a reevaluation of perspectives and a combination of entrepreneurial and scientific thinking.
The work in your research group will not only help you develop your initiative and critical thinking abilities, but also your teamwork and leadership skills. We promote inductive, inquiry-based learning in small classes with interactive learning activities such as group work and presentations.