How to Reach Swiss Digital Natives with News. A Qualitative Study
At a glance
- Project leader : Prof. Dr. Aleksandra Gnach, Prof. Dr. Guido Keel, Prof. Dr. Wibke Weber
- Project team : Dr. Eleonora Benecchi (USI), Prof. Dr. Marcel Burger (UNIL), Luca Calderara (USI), Nadine Klopfenstein Frei, Petra Mazzoni (USI), Valery Wyss
- Project budget : CHF 125'000
- Project status : completed
- Funding partner : Federal government (Bundesamt für Kommunikation BAKOM)
- Project partner : Université de Lausanne, Università della Svizzera italiana
- Contact person : Aleksandra Gnach
Information services for young people today have to meet different requirements than those offered by traditional media. Innovations in this area require both structural changes and new ways of thinking in editorial offices as well as new media formats that anticipate technological and social developments and the media behavior of young people, e.g. their media consumption via smartphones and on social media platforms. In this context, the question of the media competence of digital natives also arises.
This is where our project comes in: The understanding of news and the use of news by young people, i.e: (i) the demands and expectations of young people with regard to news offerings, (ii) their media behavior and the activities associated with news consumption, and (iii) their media competence in dealing with news. The special features of the multilingual Swiss media landscape are alos taken into account.
Bundesamt für Kommunikation BAKOM.
SGKM-Jahrestagung 2020, Virtuelle Konferenz, 20. November 2020.
Sarangi, Srikant; Gilstad, Heidi, eds.,
ALAPP 2020 : Programme & Abstracts.
10th International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Applied Linguistics and Professional Practice (ALAPP), Digital Conference, 16-17 September 2020.
Norwegian University of Science and Technology.