Swiss Payment Monitor 2020/2021
How does Switzerland pay?
At a glance
- Project leader : Sandro Graf
- Deputy of project leader : Dr. Marcel Stadelmann
- Project team : Corina Lösch, Dr. Wolfgang Schäfer
- Project status : completed
- Funding partner : Other (Swiss Payment Association), Third party (Worldline Schweiz AG, Nets Schweiz AG)
- Project partner : Universität St. Gallen
- Contact person : Sandro Graf
While the Swiss payment market has developed only slowly over the years and cash has been the main means of payment for many, there has been some movement in recent times – partly due to the increasing internationali- zation and digitization of the means of payment market. As a result, new providers are constantly entering the market, competing with innovative cashless offerings for buyers and market shares and softening existing structures. At the same time, the diversity on offer is constantly creating new needs and thus leading to a shift in market conditions, which strengthens the role of the consumer. The extent of the change is difficult to assess at this point in time. Ho- wever, it is becoming increasingly clear that the future of payment will be cashless.