Geography of Food Summer School & E-learning Course
Designing Food Value Chains to foster the UN Sustainable Development Goals
At a glance
- Project leader : Thomas Bratschi, Isabel Jaisli
- Project team : Tom Bischof, Daniel Burkart, Dr. Roman Grüter, Ennio Mariani, Dr. Emilia Schmitt, Rahel Skelton, Sonja Trachsel
- Project budget : CHF 500'000
- Project status : completed
- Funding partner : Foundation (Stiftung Mercator Schweiz)
- Project partner : University of Ljubljana, University of Agricultural Sciences Bangalore, Forschungsinstitut für biologischen Landbau FiBL
- Contact person : Isabel Jaisli
The current food system is not able to produce food to nourish the people in a sustainable way. Less environmental impact, resource use efficiency, maintaining soil fertility, closing of nutrient cycles, stable harvests, improved distribution, avoiding food losses/food waste, fair business models and food sovereignty are the main challenges in the current food system.
The new design of existing or new supply chains on a local, regional and international level are of special relevance. They should be designed to foster the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), which entered into force on 1 January.
Young scientists will be relevant actors in this process of change. For them, ZHAW and FiBL offers an open online course and the opportunity to participate in th international summer school. The whole programm focuses on the topic of "Designing Food Value Chains to foster the UN Sustainable Development Goals."
Leal Filho, W.; Salvia, A.L.; Brandli, L.; Azeiteiro, U.; Pretorius, R., eds.,
Universities, Sustainability and Society : Supporting the Implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals.
World Sustainability Series.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-63399-8_8
LVT Lebensmittel Industrie.
ZHAW Zürcher Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften.
Available from: http://gof-summerschool.org/elearning/
Jaisli, Isabel; Bischof, Tom; Mariani, Ennio; Meier, Rahel; Rieger, Lorenz,
Tropentag 2018 : Global food security and food safety: the role of universities.
Tropentag 2018, Ghent, Belgium, 17-19 September 2018.