H-DisNet – Intelligent Hybrid Thermo-Chemical District Network
At a glance
- Project leader : Dr. Thomas Bergmann, Serena Danesi
- Project team : Claudio Koller
- Project budget : EUR 2'700'000
- Project status : completed
- Funding partner : EU and other international programmes (Horizon 2020 / Projekt Nr. 695780)
- Project partner : Aurubis AG, Thermaflex International GmbH, Watergy GmbH, Technische Universität Berlin, Newcastle University, Catholic University of Leuven
- Contact person : Serena Danesi
The project develops a new technology for district and heating network which combines district heating and cooling with drying and humidification services.
While coventional district heating networks transports thermal energy, "chemical potential" is transported in thermochemical networks in form of a concentrated salt solution. Thermal energy is released when the salt solution is humidified by water vapour (air humidity).
The salt solution can be then regenerated using waste heat and renewable energy at low temperature.
The main advantages of this technology are:
- no heat losses during transport or storage
- timing and space shift between heat utilisation and heat production
- use of waste heat and renewable energy sources
ZHAW is demonstrating the technology in a greenhouse and in a biogas plant.