Hospitality Management Competency Group
The Hospitality Management Competency Group works on and researches strategic and operational issues in the field of hospitality management, with an emphasis on the customer-facing services provided by hospitals, catering outlets, hotels and many other businesses. It collaborates with industry partners to analyse problems, develop practical solutions and track their implementation. Its clients and partners include businesses and organisations of all sizes, and it provides consultancy services to both private and public sector players wishing to optimise procedures or adopt an FM strategy.
Research and development
The Group's applied research and development activities focus on the development or enhancement of processes and methods and on FM-related strategic issues in a whole-business context, taking into account demographic, economic and regulatory developments and their impact on companies and the services they provide.
Consultancy and services
The Group offers its clients a comprehensive range of services; it not only evaluates operational processes within companies in the capacity of an independent expert, but also provides strategic consultancy services and works together with its clients to develop proposals for improvements and implementation-ready solutions. We collaborate closely with the IFM's other Competency Groups as well as the remaining ZHAW Institutes and other universities.
The Group's teaching approach combines theory with applied practice on the basis of scientifically proven knowledge. Its courses cover theoretical and management-related findings as well as the technical and mathematical skills which the hospitality managers of the future will need. The following courses are offered to BSc and MSc students: Food Service Processes and Management, Value Creation (strategy development, event management, accommodation and business plans), Textile and Cleaning Management and Procurement Management. The Group also passes on strategic findings from its research projects in the field of healthcare and consumer FM.
- Research project "Hospital Planning 4.0", together with ETH and the University of St. Gallen (funded by the Swiss Federal Commission for Technology and Innovation) (2014-2016)
- Research project "Development of an IT-supported assessment tool and introductory manual for facility management process applications in hospitals on the basis of an adaptive reference model", together with IWI/ZHAW and WIG /ZHAW (funded by the Swiss Federal Commission for Technology and Innovation) (2014-2016)
- Research project "DemenzCare" together with the Ebnet Foundation (2014-2016)
- Research project "Emergency preparedness & business continuity management after DBA scenario", on behalf of the Swiss Federal Government (Federal Department of Defence Civil Protection and Sport/Federal Office of Civil Protection) (2014-2018)
- Contract-based service provision projects for healthcare companies: Textile supply and cleaning management for the future (2014-2015)
- Development project "Life cycle costing and LCC checker in and for new-build hospitals", development project on behalf of a hospital developer (2013-2015)
- Development project "Modern FM – a concept for new-build hospitals", on behalf of a hospital/hospital developer (2013-2014)
- Development project "Trilogy - the fusion of three hospitals", on behalf of a canton (2011-2013)
- Research project "Value of support x2", together with the University of St. Gallen (with CTI funding), Hotellerie Benchmark (2011-present)
- Research project "Optimisation of cost forms in intensive-care hospitals" (funded by the Swiss Federal Commission for Technology and Innovation) (2010-2014)