Institute of Applied Information Technology
Computer science is a main driver of digitalization and significantly determines the future of our information society. The Institute of Applied Information Technology (InIT) stands for research and development in a broad range of topics in computer science and develops practical solutions for challenging problems in cooperation with companies and university partners. Already since 2005, we have been your flexible and efficient partner with around 75 employees with backgrounds in various fields and with our modern research infrastructure.
InIT is structured into five research groups addressing various current research topics:
- Human-Information Interaction: Speech-based Interaction, Mobile Usability, ICT-Accessibility, Visual Computing
- Information Engineering: Big and Nano Data, Data Understanding
- Information Security: Software Security, Cyber Attacks and Defense
- Service Engineering: Cloud Computing, Service Prototyping, Cloud Robotics
- Software Systems: Automatic Software Generation, Automatic Software Development Life Cycle
InIT is your innovative, experienced and reliable partner for cooperation in research and development. Since its foundation in 2005, InIT has successfully participated in more than 200 national and international projects, including around 80 Innosuisse projects (formerly CTI) and around 15 EU projects.
Cooperation with InIT takes place in various ways, e.g., in the context of Innosuisse, EU, SNF, foundations, and directly financed projects. Another possibility for companies to cooperate with us is in the context of student projects at either Bachelor's or Master's level.
The company logos shown represent a selection of partners with whom we have carried out successful projects in recent years.
- More information about different options to cooperate with InIT
- Are you interested? Contact us!
At InIT, young talents find the ideal environment to take their next career step.
We are looking for enthusiastic newcomers for our positions in research and development. Research assistants put innovative ideas into practice in our projects. Do you have a bachelor's degree in computer science, data science or related fields and want to help solve exciting research questions? Then you will find a new home in our five research groups.
Students, including those who wish to become students, come into contact with InIT at all levels:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or Data Science: We teach a variety of modules and supervise project and bachelor theses for students, often in collaboration with companies. Depending on the type, these theses are concerned with questions directly from practice or with questions in the context of our research projects. Good bachelor students can get their first taste of research by applying for a "Summer Internship" at the institute. For this, directly contact one of the research group leaders.
- Master of Science in Engineering: InIT offers study places for the Master of Science in Engineering (MSE) in the profiles Computer Science and Data Science. You will have a supervisor at the institute and Individual specialization is possible in all research areas of InIT. The topics you’ll work on are research-related and there’s often a connection with our research projects. The MSE program can also be completed part-time, e.g., 50% studying and 50% working as scientific assistant at InIT or in an external company.
- PhD: Together with partner universities in Switzerland and abroad, InIT offers the opportunity to do a PhD. Our PhD students significantly drive our research agenda. InIT is also part of the PhD Network in Data Science program.
- Apprenticeships: Every year, we offer internships for IMS (Informatikmittelschule) scholars. With us, you will learn about computer science in practice. You can apply here (German only).
- Pre-study internship Youth2Engineers: You have a matura from a gymnasium or a vocational diploma of non-technical orientation and would like to study computer science or data science at ZHAW? Then this program offers the perfect point of entry for you.
ZHAW School of Engineering also offers a wide range of continuing education opportunities, allowing you to earn a Master of Advanced Studies (MAS), a Diploma of Advanced Studies (DAS), or a Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS). InIT contributes significantly to several of these modular continuing education programs:
- Master of Advanced Studies (MAS) in Computer Science (incl. DAS and CAS)
- Master of Advanced Studies (MAS) in Data Science (incl. DAS and CAS)
- Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS) in Applied IT Security