ECHORD (European Clearing House for Open Robotics Development)
JILAS (Jig Less Airplane Assembly)
At a glance
- Project leader : Richard Alexander Hüppi
- Project team : Raphael Müller, Emilio Schmidhauser
- Project budget : EUR 304'000
- Project status : completed
- Funding partner : EU and other international programmes
- Project partner : University of Coimbra, Università degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, Technische Universität München, MRK - Systeme GmbH, Pilatus Aircraft LTD
- Contact person : Richard Alexander Hüppi
JILAS - Jig-Less Airplane Assembly in low volume production by enhanced human robot interaction
JILAS focuses on “human-robot interfacing and safety”. The core of the JILAS experiment is to realize a scenario where a human worker and an industrial robot assemble airplane components in a classic human-robot-coworker cooperation.
Therefore, an industrial robot with state of the art safety technology and the ability to perform force controlled movements will be used. Additionally, the robot has the capability to be hand guided by grasping and moving the gripped work piece. With the help of this robot, the human worker can pick up a component and move it toward the final assembly position. With the help of an external, absolute measurement system, the worker records the current component position in order to enable the main controller to calculate the exact path the robot must take to reach the final position of the gripped component. Then, at the human worker’s command, the robot moves the component, perhaps force controlled or at least force supervised, to its final position.