Pre-study for the Feasibility Assessment of a Burner System Capable of Handling 100% Hydrogen for Application in Industrial Furnaces and Heating Systems
At a glance
- Project leader : Dr. Mirko Bothien
- Project budget : CHF 15'000
- Project status : completed
- Funding partner : Innosuisse (Innovationsscheck / Projekt Nr. 58991.1 INNO-EE)
- Project partner : Sustainable Business & Engineering Solutions GmbH
- Contact person : Mirko Bothien
To achieve the CO2-reduction goals of the Swiss Energy Strategy 2050, heating systems which are today fired with natural gas or fuel oil must be replaced with CO2-free technologies. The major development goal is the ability to handle 100% H2 and blends of biogas with the same hardware. Additionally, the product should be retrofittable into the existing infrastructure.
To address the challenges with respect to flashback, NOx, overheating, and thermoacoustics coupled with the objective of a simple and robust design further research is required. In this pre-study, a first thermoacoustic analysis of the system is performed which is then used to investigate countermeasures.