Bachelor in Nursing for Registered Nurses
A part-time nursing programme offering a university degree and a licence to practice.
- Our Bachelor’s degree programme provides the necessary knowledge to create evidence-based nursing concepts and develop standards that enhance nursing processes. The additional knowledge that BSc graduates acquire, such as in clinical assessment or scientific work, enables them to give patients the best possible care and to take on a decisive role in interprofessional teamwork.
- Graduates of the Bachelor’s program in Nursing benefit from a wide range of continuing education programmes and can also go on to acquire a Master of Science in Nursing (MScN). Equipped with professional experience and the appropriate continuing education qualifications, graduates are ready to assume management, teaching or research responsibilities.
- The ZHAW Institute of Nursing is one of the largest and most renowned centres of education and training in Switzerland. Its Bachelor’s, Master’s, and continuous education programs as well as our research projects aim at the continuous development of nursing knowledge and the professional field.
Entry requirements for BSc in Nursing for Registered Nurses
- Evidence of a formal qualification in nursing (acute care/psychiatric nursing/paediatric nursing care/intensive care/Level II nursing diploma/College of Higher Education and Training
From the start of the 2021 academic year, the Bachelor’s degree programme for registered nurses takes four years to complete.
Classes on campus take place two days a week during the semester. The course structure allows students to pursue a part-time job in nursing of up to 3 days (60%) a week.
The direct practical implementation of what has been learned is part of this Bachelor’s degree programme. The clinical placement module must be completed during the first three semesters at the student’s regular workplace. The clinical placement module is worth 30 ECTS credits.
For their Bachelor’s thesis, students work on a topic relevant to their profession and apply the scientific methods they have learned throughout their studies.
Building on your knowledge and experiences, the Bachelor’s degree programme enables you to master the current and future career challenges in nursing so that you can take on demanding nursing duties in different subject areas and for people of all ages. You assume a crucial role in the treatment process. Patients and their relatives will directly benefit from the new skills you acquire.
During your studies you will acquire competencies in seven different roles:
- As a communicator, you facilitate the building of trusting relationships and selective sharing of information.
- As an expert in your field, you perform specialist nursing tasks and make appropriate decisions.
- As a collaborator, you are proactive and participate in interdisciplinary teamwork.
- As a manager, you assume professional leadership, contribute to the effectiveness of the organisation, and develop your own professional career.
- As a health advocate, you are committed to helping patients responsibly within the healthcare system.
- As a scholar, you are committed to lifelong learning and the development, transfer, and application of knowledge.
- As a professional, you promote the professionalisation process in nursing through reflective practice.
At a glance
Degree: Bachelor of Science ZFH (Zurich University of Applied Sciences and Arts) in Nursing
Workload: 90 ECTS credits
Duration of study: 4 semesters (2 years)
Course structure: Part-time
Start of the course: September
Registration deadline: 15 April
Teaching location: Winterthur
Language of instruction: German
Tuition fees: CHF 720 semester fees + additional study and living expenses
Postgraduate courses: Master of Science in Nursing