Public Sector Financial Management
We research, lecture and provide consulting services in the field of public financial management and, in doing so, are committed to the active transfer of knowledge into practice. Our mission is to seek innovative and academically profound solutions to current challenges in the financial management of government, administrative, and not-for-profit organizations with the aim of increasing efficiency, effectiveness, and transparency in dealing with public finances and donations.
Public Sector Accounting - Online PhD Spring School
10 - 12 May 2021
20 years IPSAS implementation: What have we learned?
Jurisdictions around the world have been reforming their PFM systems while the implementation of IPSAS remains at the heart of many reform endeavors. But what are the costs and benefits of IPSAS reforms? And do such reforms lead to increased transparency, accountability or better-informed decision-making to effectively address current problems? Furthermore, what are the achievements and challenges of standard-setting in public sector?
We have invited leading scholars in this field as well as the chair of IPSASB, who will provide insights into the most relevant theories and approaches. PhD students are invited to present their scientific papers and research ideas.
For further information please visit PhD Spring School 2021
PEFA study in the field of "Green Public Procurement
Recently we won the PEFA Secretariat's international research competition 2020 on "The Interplay of Climate Change and Public Financial Management". We will investigate the potential of environmentally sustainable public procurement to reduce greenhouse gases and which PFM "enablers" are necessary to effectively implement greening of public procurement.
Projects in the field of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) within the framework of international development cooperation
We were allowed to carry out projects for various national and international partners in the field of impact assessment within the framework of international development cooperation (IC) with the aim of designing efficient, sustainable and effective project interventions and supporting local partners in their autonomy. You can find more information here (PDF 611,3 KB)
International study on public accounting
In cooperation with the World Bank, the Institute for Public Management (IVM) has prepared a detailed study which analyzes the Public Sector Accounting (PSA) environment of the thirteen beneficiary countries of the World Bank’s PULSAR program from the Western Balkan and Eastern Partnership countries. Click here for the report (PDF 3,6 MB)
In our research, we examine ways to increase the efficiency, effectiveness, and transparency of the financial management of governments, administrations, and not-for-profit organizations. The focus is on their practical needs and how to meet them by means of academically based approaches and concepts. Research areas include, in particular:
- Modernization of public accounting through HRM2 and IPSAS;
- Alternative financing models in the public sector such as public-private partnerships;
- Effects of digitalization on public financial management;
- Sustainable financial management through the development of a fiscal stress test;
- Evaluation of financing decisions by NPOs;
- Financial governance and planning systems such as budgeting and medium-term planning;
- Capacity building in the field of Public Financial Management (PFM);
- Sustainability in public procurement
We have helped over 100 government, administrative, and not-for-profit organizations in more than 30 countries increase their efficiency, effectiveness, and transparency in managing public finances and donations. Thanks to our broad national and international network combined with independent research into innovative concepts and approaches, we ensure that our project partners receive practical and scientifically based solutions that reflect current understanding.
Here you will find an overview of selected projects for various clients in Switzerland and internationally:
- Canton of St. Gallen. Expert opinion on linking strategic priority planning and task planning.
- Swiss Federal Finance Administration. Expert opinion on the revenue reporting of investments in developing banks.
- State Secretariat for International Finance. Regulatory cost analysis relating to the Financial Services Act (FIDLEG).
- Canton of Zurich. Development of a new funding model concerning victim protection and the fight against human trafficking.
- University of Applied Sciences Rapperswil. Introduction of an internal control system (ICS).
- Caritas Switzerland. Development and implementation of a new impact measurement system.
- UBS Optimus Foundation. Design and development of a new impact measurement system.
- State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO). Technical assistance in areas of public accounting and financial control with a view to SECO priority countries.
- World Bank. Support in developing transparent accounting standards (IPSAS) in countries such as Kazakhstan, Peru, Kyrgyzstan, Ecuador, Serbia, and Albania.
- International Monetary Fund (IMF). Support in implementing public financial management reforms in countries such as Poland, Peru, Iran, Belarus, and Croatia.
We have a broad national and international network of reliable and experienced partners in the field of public financial management and development cooperation. In particular, we maintain strategic partnerships with:
- The State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO) in public financial management (2018 to 2022);
- The Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA) in the training and further education of public sector accountants;
- The World Bank within the framework of the Public Sector Accounting and Reporting Strengthening Initiative (PULSAR) in Europe and Central Asia;
- Caritas Switzerland in the development and implementation of an Impact Evaluation model
Our team, from left to right
- Dr. Sandro Fuchs, Head Center for Public Financial Management / Lecturer
- Dr. Andreas Bergmann, Director of Department Public Sector and Professor
- Dr. Oriana Ponta, Project Manager Impact Evaluations
- Christoph Schuler, Project Manager Public Finance
- Pascal Horni, Project Manager Public Finance
- Lukas Augustin, Project Employee Public Finance
- Durlandy Andrés Cubillos Márquez, Project Manager Public Finance
- Dr. Alma Ramsden, Project Manager Public Finance
- Antonia Grafl, Project Manager Public Finance
Our current publications
Fuchs, S., Mertes, A., Ramsden, A., Rey, A. (2020). Öffentliche Planungs- und Steuerungssysteme für das 21. Jahrhundert. Swiss Yearbook of Administrative Sciences, 11(1), pp. 171–183. You can find this publication here.
Grafl, A., Schuler, C., Fuchs, S., Bergmann, A., Horni, P., Warzecha, I., Boyce, D. (2020). Stocktaking of public sector accounting and reporting environment in PULSAR beneficiary countries. World Bank Group. You can find this publication here (PDF 3,6 MB).
Bergmann, A., Wermuth, M., Fuchs, S. (2020). Umsetzung und Überprüfung der IPSAS-Ertragsstandards: Neuerungen im Bereich IFRS werden berücksichtigt, vor allem IFRS 15. Expert Focus, 2020(1-2), S. 17-19. You can find this publication here.
Bergmann, A., Fuchs, S., & Schuler, C. (2019). A theoretical basis for public sector accrual accounting research: Current state and perspectives. Public Money & Management, 39(8), 560–570. You can find this publication here.
Betz, R., Geissmann, T., Hediger, W., Herter, M., Schillinger, M., Schuler, C., & Weigt, H. (2019). The Future of Swiss Hydropower: Distributional Effects of Water Fee Reform Options. You can find this publication here (PDF 1,8 MB).
Bergmann, A., Augustin, L. & Fuchs, S. (2019). Bilanzorientierte Haushaltssteuerung. Expert Focus, 2019(5), 396–399. You can find this publication here.
Fuchs, S. & Grafl, A. I. (2019). Die dunkle Seite des Mondes: Was steht den Staatschulden gegenüber? You can find this publication here.
Fuchs, S. & Seiwald, J. (2018). Accountants und Ökonomen: Einzel- oder Paartanz? You can find this publication here.