External Auditor course on System Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety
Aviation, as we know it today, has an excellent safety record, which can only be upheld by employing certain processes that guarantee safe conduct in every aspect, beginning at system conception up to daily operation. The objective of this course is to provide knowledge and skills to understand the development and operation of safe, reliable and easily maintainable systems. The participant should learn how products and systems are designed with regard to RAMS guidelines (System Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety) and how to carry on simple safety assessments.
This course is part of the BSc in Aviation degree at the Zurich University of Applied Sciences. External participants are able to attend the lectures.
This course is open to students of the ZHAW BSc in Aviation degree course and external auditors, who are aiming to acquire a basic understanding of Reliability, Availability, Safety and Maintainability (RAMS) principles according to SAE ARP 4761 and FAR/CS 2X.1309.
In this course, the participant will get in touch with the following topics:
- Provide a basic understanding of Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety (RAMS) Engineering principles.
- Highlight role of RAMS in the aircraft Design, Certification and Continued Airworthiness process.
- Provide a good understanding of the System Safety Assessment (SSA) process.
- Provide a basic understanding of Safety requirements and associated Methods of Compliance.
- Description and discussion of real-world cases studies.
The course is based on principles defined in:
- SAE ARP 4761 - Guidelines and Methods for Conducting the Safety Assessment Process on Civil Airborne Systems and Equipment
- FAR/CS 23.1309, FAR/CS 25.1309, FAR/CS 27.1309 and FAR/CS 29.1309.
Prerequisites & Teaching Language
External auditors are required to have basic knowledge of aircraft systems in order to follow the course. Good comprehension skills in English are required to follow the course successfully.
This course is held in English.