AKTIVAL: Electro-Mechanical Valve for Piston Compressors
The IMS and Burckhardt Compression AG cooperated to develop the first actively controlled valve for piston compressors.
The aim of the development was to create a product, which has significantly less pressure and flow loss than passive valves. This has been achieved with a high number of cycles of 109 and a low power input.
The highlights of this product include the following points:
- The valve can be switched on/off at any given time
- The efficiency has been significantly increased
- The design allows the volume of vented gas to be controlled
The IMS worked on the following work packages:
- Flow Analysis
- Optimisation of the actor
- Development of a control for soft-landing at high cycle numbers
- Electronic development
- Sensor development
- Optimisation of power intake
Project Duration: 25 months
Project Status: The project has been completed.