Digital Literacy Skills in University Context
At a glance
- Project leader : Prof. Dr. Triantafyllia Liana Konstantinidou
- Co-project leader : Prof. Dr. Maureen Ehrensberger-Dow, Prof. Dr. Cerstin Mahlow
- Deputy of project leader : Malgorzata Anna Ulasik
- Project team : Dr. Alice Delorme Benites, Prof. Dr. Joachim Hoefele, Prof. Dr. Otto Kruse, Dr. Caroline Lehr, Aleksandra Opacic, Dr. Christian Rapp, Dr. Maren Runte, Romina Schaub-Torsello
- Project budget : CHF 2'060'000
- Project status : ongoing
- Funding partner : Federal government (Projektgebundene Beiträge / P-8 Digital Skills)
- Project partner : Pädagogische Hochschule Zürich PHZH, Berner Fachhochschule BFH, Université de Neuchâtel
- Contact person : Triantafyllia Liana Konstantinidou
Writing in most contexts today is done with digital, computer-assisted support. Technologies based on artificial intelligence (AI) such as intelligent tutoring (IT), automated writing evaluation (AWE) and machine translation (MT) present new opportunities, perspectives, and risks for tertiary education. The challenge in university contexts is to determine how the advantages of AI-related technology can be leveraged in language teaching and academic writing while minimizing potential issues such as ineffective communication, miscommunication, and misuse (e.g. plagiarism). The main goal of the project is to show how they can be brought systematically into classrooms and coaching as surrogates for how to exploit AI in education, empowering lecturers and students by demonstrating how smart machines can help students to improve their writing. In order to meet this goal, we will evaluate the applicability of various types of digital multilingual writing support in Swiss universities and heighten current and potential users’ awareness of the opportunities and risks they entail.
The Łódź-ZHAW Duo Colloquium on Translation and Meaning, online, Winterthur, 2-3 September 2021.
ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences, School of Applied Linguistics, IUED Institute of Translation and Interpreting.
EUROCALL 2021 : CALL & Professionalisation, Paris (online), 25-27 August 2021.