Positive Energy Districts as a Suitable Instrument to govern the Swiss Energy Transition (PEDSET)
At a glance
- Project leader : Dr. Juliana Victoria Zapata Riveros
- Co-project leader : Dr. Ricardo Lima, Dr. Silvia Ulli-Beer
- Project status : ongoing
- Funding partner : SNSF (COST / Projekt Nr. 205436)
- Project partner : Haute école spécialisée de Suisse occidentale HES-SO Genève, Université de Genève
- Contact person : Juliana Victoria Zapata Riveros
“Positive Energy Districts” (PEDs) are energy-efficient and flexible urban areas or interconnected groups of buildings that produce net zero greenhouse gas emissions and actively manage local or regional surplus annual renewable energy production. They require the integration of different systems and infrastructures and the interaction between buildings, users and the regional energy, mobility, and ICT systems, ensuring energy supply and good living for all in line with social, economic, and environmental sustainability.
This project’s main research question is: are PEDs a suitable instrument togovern the Swiss energy transition? What learnings for governance, citizens involvement, socio-technical implementation and technology deployment are becoming decisive? What would be critical next actions (further research and guidelines) in order to upscale PED in Switzerland?