Incidence and costs of hypoglycemia in insulin-treated diabetes mellitus in Switzerland
At a glance
- Project leader : Prof. Dr. Simon Wieser
- Project team : Maria Johanna Carlander, Prof. Dr. Klaus Eichler, Christina Tzogiou
- Project status : completed
- Funding partner : Third party
- Contact person : Christina Tzogiou
Insulin is essential to the treatment of diabetes but may lead to hypoglycemic events. These events do not only represent a considerable burden for diabetes patients, but also lead to substantial economic costs. The aim of this study was to assess the incidence of severe and non-severe hypoglycemic episodes in insulin-treated adults with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes mellitus in Switzerland, and estimate the subsequent direct medical costs and production losses.