Intercultural Nursing Educators and Students (TraINErs)
At a glance
- Project leader : Eva van der Linden
- Project team : Prof. Dr. Daniela Händler-Schuster, Diana Schmidli-Waser, Prof. Dr. Maria Schubert, Susan Schärli-Lim
- Project status : completed
- Funding partner : Foundation (Movetia)
- Project partner : University College Antwerp, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Basque healthcare system Osakidetza, Udruzenje Centar Djordje Vajfert, Serbia, St. Clement of Ohrid University of Bitola, VIA University College Denmark, Intercultural Development Research Institute IDRI Europe, Interculturate Belgium, Berner Bildungszentrum Pflege AG
- Contact person : Susan Schärli-Lim
The diverse society in Switzerland dictates that intercultural competent nurses are needed. The Swiss Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH) however claims that healthcare staff in Switzerland lack intercultural skills. Training programs for health care professionals is considered a key intervention to reduce health disparities. The FOPH (2008) states that investing in the health of the migrant population is not just a noble gesture; it is worthwhile in terms of cost effectiveness. For example, in a USA study by LaVeist, Gaskin and Richard (2009) it becomes clear, how costly health care can be when health disparities remain. They state that “Researchers have determined that between 2003 and 2006 the combined direct and indirect costs of health disparities in the US was $1.24 trillion”(p.6). This cost only reflects the monetary cost, not the personal suffering of the patients and their families. Improving the intercultural competence of educators and nurses will have an economical and societal impact. It helps to meet the needs of society. ZHAW wants to sharpen her profile in regard to graduating interculturally competent graduates. The project has a high exemplary value for other higher education institutions in the health and social sector in Switzerland.
The project includes three major phases focusing on the following three Topics:
1. Profiling: Profile identification and validation of an INE,
2. Material development: Creating a curriculum/syllabus for blended intercultural education and create an open source online/mobile training module for educators and students,
3. Evaluation: Training module for intercultural communication in nursing and create a tool for evaluating the impact of intercultural training interventions on the competence and skills of the INE.
The state-of-the-art validated profile of an INE, the research based online material, and the tool to evaluate cultural growth are the expected Benefits.
Kohler, S. K.; Karabegovic, A.; Schönbächler Marcar, C.; Kupka, D.; Domeisen Benedetti, F.; Schärli-Lim, S.,
Interkulturelle Kommunikation in der onkologischen Pflege : "Behandle andere Menschen so, wie sie selbst behandelt werden möchten".
2023(1), pp. 15-16.
Karabegovic, Azra; Schönbächler Marcar, Claudia; Kupka, Daniel; Domeisen Benedetti, Franzisca; Gisler, Livo; Kohler, Sara Kerstin; Schärli-Lim, Susan,
Interkulturelle Kompetenz : eine Jahrhundertkompetenz.
2023(2), pp. 26-28.
Gradellini, C.; de Lorenzo, E.; Zarandona, J.; Schärli-Lim, S.; Händler-Schuster, D.; Mecugni, D.; Filov, I.; Mijatovic, M.; Bønløkke, M.; Flodager, H.; Pretorius, M.; Bourkia, P.; Bennet, M.; Van der Linden, E.; Vanceulebroeck, V.; Vermeiren, S.; et al.,
Trainers: Trainer Intercultural Nursing Educators and Students : un progetto europeo per promuovere la competenza culturale [poster].
La SIMM, 30 Anni + le Epidemie: Nuove diseguaglianze, nuove sfide, Rome, Italy, 19-21 October 2022.
ZHAW Zürcher Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.21256/zhaw-26894
TraINErs : training intercultural nursing educators and students.
Florence Network Annual Meeting (FNAM): "Global Human Security", online, 20-21 May 2022.
Tools to aid analysis & reflection, and a profile to guide intercultural mentors.
SIETAR Switzerland Congress 2022, Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland, 13-15 May 2022.
How to make the best out of a study year abroad.
ZHAW International Evening, Winterthur, 8 November 2021.
de Lorenzo, Elena; Schärli-Lim, Susan; Gradellini, Cinzia; Bourkia, Petra,
Profile of intercultural nurse educator EU & Movetia funded TraINErs project.
Virtual Florence Network Annual Meeting, online, 20-21 May 2021.
De Lorenzo, Elena; Gradellini, Cinzia; Bønløkke, Mette; Schärli-Lim, Susan; Bourkia, Petra; Mecugni, Daniela; Zarandona, Jagoba; Pretorius, Marilize,
Validation of a profile of an intercultural competence nursing educator : an international Delphi study.
25th International Nursing Research Conference, online, 15-19 November 2021.
de Lorenzo, E.; Bønløkke, M.; Bourkia, P.; Gradellini, C.; Händler-Schuster, D.; Mecugni, D.; Bennet, M.; Mijatovic, M.; Pretorius, M.; Schaerli, S.; Vermeiren, S.; Weber, U.; Zarandona, J.,
The profile of an intercultural competence educator for healthcare and other professions.
Available from: https://iccglobal.org/2020/09/30/the-profile-of-an-intercultural-competence-educator-for-healthcare-and-other-professions/