Improving rural livelihoods through promoting high-quality coffee and coffee cherry products in the origin countries Colombia and Bolivia
How can livelihoods of smallholder coffee farmers in Colombia and Bolivia be improved through the scaling-up to high-quality coffee products?
At a glance
- Project leader : Sabine de Castelberg
- Co-project leader : Prof. Nelson Gutierrez Guzman , Prof. Stephan Rist
- Deputy of project leader : Dr. Johanna Jacobi, Prof. Chahan Yeretzian
- Project team : Derly Cibelly, Daniel Mauricio Castro Cabrera, Isabeau Compigne, Dr. Sebastian Opitz, Sergio Alejandro Urioste
- Project status : completed
- Funding partner : Third party (Swiss Network for International Studies SNIS)
- Project partner : Universität Bern / Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Nachhaltige Entwicklung und Umwelt, South Colombian University / Centros de Investigación
- Contact person : Sabine de Castelberg
To improve the livelihoods perspectives of smallholder coffee farmers, the project will generate and promote knowledge in origin countries on domestic quality markets, increased added value of coffee and coffee cherry products for coffee farmers and their organisations within origin countries and beyond. The project will put particular emphasis on developing and implementing strategies as well as related policies in origin countries and internationally. Together with project’s local partners, the research team will study the market- and livelihoods potential of high-quality coffee and coffee cherry products in two South American origin countries, Bolivia and Colombia.