Winglet optimization for the Grob G180 SPn business jet
At a glance
- Project leader : Prof. Dr. Leonardo Manfriani
- Project team : Prof. Dr. Egon Lang
- Project budget : CHF 82'150
- Project status : completed
- Funding partner : Third party (GROB Aerospace)
- Project partner : Grob Aerospace (D)
- Contact person : Leonardo Manfriani
This project consisted in an aerodynamic study commissioned by
an aircraft manufacture to the Center for Aviation. The task was to
develop new winglets for a light business jet with the aim of
reducing the drag in cruise.
First of all a preliminary optimisation was conducted with an efficient analysis method, to identify in the shorter possible time the most promising geomerical configurations. One of these was selected for further development, consisting in the opimisation of the profiles in the transonic flight regime and a validation with Navier-Stokes calculations at different Mach numbers and angles of attack.