LCA of peat, alternative substrates and growing media
At a glance
- Project leader: Matthias Stucki
- Project team: Simon Amrein, Dr. Beatrice Kulli Honauer, Alex Mathis
- Project status: completed
- Funding partner: Federal government (Bundesamt für Umwelt BAFU), Third party (Stiftung Gartenbau)
- Project partner: VSGP Verband Schweizer Gemüseproduzenten, Jardin Suisse
- Contact person: Matthias Stucki
Due to its soil improving properties peat is regarded as an ideal component of growing media. However, peat cutting has a high environmental impact. In Switzerland, the extraction of peat is prohibited since 1987, but 130’000 tons of peat are imported every year. To reduce peat consumption, alternative substrates are needed. This projects aims at assessing the environmental impacts of peat, peat substitutes and growing media with and without peat. In order to quantify the environmental impacts, a life cycle assessment (LCA) will be performed. In addition, the social impacts of the production of the individual growing media components will be analysed qualitatively. The results of the study will be used to provide recommendations for different stakeholders.
Schriftenreihe Erneuerbare Energien, Bodenökologie, Ökobilanzierung, Ökotechnologie und Aquakultur
ZHAW Zürcher Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften.
Available from: https://doi.org/10.21256/zhaw-19045
9th International Conference on Life Cycle Management, Poznan, Poland, 1-4 September 2019.