FamilyStart beider Basel
At a glance
- Project leader: Beatrice Friedli, Elisabeth Kurth
- Project team: Magdalena Brigger, Isabel Fornaro, Nathalie Kaufmann, Susanne Rodmann, Susan Rodriguez, Sabine Ruch, Silvia Zeltner
- Project status: completed
- Funding partner: Foundation
- Project partner: Berner Fachhochschule, Schweizerisches Tropen- und Public Health - Institut, Sektion beide Basel, Schweizerischer Hebammenverband
- Contact person: Beatrice Friedli
Familystart beider Basel - Coordinated Care for Families with Newborns: A Participative Project with Self-employed Midwives
Length of hospital stay after birth is decreasing in Switzerland, especially as DRGs per case financing was introduced in 2012. The outpatient care model was not prepared to fill-in the emerging gap in the postnatal care chain. Follow up care by midwives was not guaranteed and families experienced a lack of coordination by professional caregiver groups.
To develop a coordinated, safe and need-oriented postnatal care model implemented by self-employed midwives.
In an academic – service partnership a midwife researcher supported a project team of self-employed midwives in developing a new model for coordinated postnatal care.
1st step: Needs analysis
Expert interviews with postnatal care providers and focus groups with new mothers and fathers to capture their needs. Ethical approval was granted.
2nd step: Development of a new postnatal care model
Project team developed a vision of an optimal postnatal care model and discussed possible variants in a workshop with local midwives.
3rd step: Implementation of new care model
Network of self-employed midwives offers helpline for new parents and guarantees home visits post discharge.
Innovative contracts between maternity clinics and midwifery-network regulate reimbursement of postnatal services’ coordination.
Interprofessional collaboration with other postnatal care providers is established.
The care model was implemented into practice in November 2012. The first year was evluated.
For current information see: www.familystart.ch
Open Data and Downloads
- Publikation: " Safe start at home: what parents of newborns need after early discharge from hospital – a focus group study" http://dx.doi.org/...
- Publikation: "Does Coordinated Postpartum Care Influence Costs?": http://www.ijic.org/...