NRP70 - Catalytic methanation of industrially-derived CO2
At a glance
- Project leader: Dr.
- Deputy of project leader: Dr. Borgschulte Andreas
- Project team: Renaud Delmelle
- Project status: completed
- Funding partner: SNSF (NFP 70 «Energiewende»)
- Project partner: Eidgenössische Materialprüfungs- und Forschungsanstalt EMPA
The objective of this project is the development of catalysts
and processes for the
methanation of CO2 from cement industry for the production of sustainable methane.
A particular problem associated with CO2 from cement industry is - similar to biofuels
- its contamination by sulphur compounds, which deactivate conventional catalysts.
The contaminants origin from cheap high sulphur fuels and pyritic sulphur containing
cement kilns. To overcome this problem, two strategies are applied: a microstructural
regeneration, possible by recently developed sorption catalysts, and exploration of the
possibility to use bio-inspired sulphur resistant catalysts.