Rationing – Missed Nursing care: An international and multidimensional problem
A COST Project (European Cooperation in Science and Technology)
Auf einen Blick
- Projektleiter/in: Prof. Evridiki Papastavrou
- Stellv. Projektleiter/in: Prof. Chryssoula Lemonidou
- Projektteam: Dr. Mário Amoirn Lopes, Georgios Efstathiou, Prof. Olga Riklikiene, Prof. Dr. Maria Schubert, Prof. Walter Sermeus, Prof. Ritta Suhonen
- Projektstatus: laufend
- Drittmittelgeber: EU und andere Internationale Programme (COST European Cooperation in Science and Technology), Interne Förderung
- Kontaktperson: Maria Schubert
Rationing of nursing care occurs when resources are not
sufficient to provide necessary care to all patients.
The reasons that lead to this phenomenon include staff reductions, in-creased demands for care due to the technological advancements, more treatment options, more informed service users, all requiring more time and attention from care professionals. Rationing of nursing care may also occur due to particular approaches of nurses’ clinical judgment and knowledge in allocating the resources, and the wider value basis of the society on care. As a result, fundamental patient needs may not be fulfilled and human rights linked to discrimination may be affected.
In view of the increasing evidence indicating a neg-ative effect
of nursing rationing on patient outcomes, the fragmented work on
the complexity of the topic as well as the gaps regarding issues
such as ethics, methodology and patient safety, this Action will
enable and facilitate internationally coordinated exchange of
expertise and knowledge for both research and clinical practice at
European and international level.
Four Working Groups: WG 1 Conceptualisation, Organisational,
Methodological Issues, WG2 Evidence-based interventions design, WG
3 Ethical Issues of rationing of nursing care, WG 4 Educational
Issues and training
International and national research – publications, Training Schools, Short Term Scientific Missions, International Workshops and Conferences, Consensus meetings, Training manuals
- COST-Action CA15208 - Rationing - Missed Nursing care: An international and multidimensional problem
- RANCARE Action
RANCARE: Missed Nursing Care- impacts and interventions, Mainz, 22. Februar 2019.