Master in Real Estate & Facility Management
"The program helps graduates to transform themselves into experts who operate at the intersection between management, technology and finance. They are equipped to overcome the current challenges in the real estate industry.“
Dr. Thomas Richter, Co-Programme
With this qualification, you can obtain a management position with a high level of responsibility in the strategic areas of real estate and facility management.
It is the first Master's programme in Switzerland to combine the fields of real estate and facility management, economics, finance, operational technology/IT and services with a focus on the key issues of sustainability and digitisation.
The MSc Real Estate & Facility Management is a cooperation between the IFM Institute of Facility Management from the School of Life Sciences and Facility Management and the Departement of Banking, Finance, Insurance at the School of Management and Law.
At a Glance
Title: Master of Science (MSc) ZHAW in Real Estate & Facility Management
Start of New Program: Mid-September
Workload: 90 ECTS credits (equivalent to approx. 2,700 hours of study)
Duration: part-time in 4 or 6 semester.
Registration deadline: June 30 – enroll here
Location: Wädenswil, Winterthur, Zurich and online
Classes held on: Wednesday to Friday
Teaching format: classes alternate two weeks online, one week on-site.
Tuition Fee: CHF 720.- per semester + additional study-related expenses
Admission Requirements: Admission Procedure
Language of instruction: Predominantly German, 30 ECTS credits in English
Semester abroad: possible, – more information
Accreditation: AACSB accredited. IFMA, RICS accreditations in preparation.
The master's program provides you with broad management knowledge in the field of real estate. You can also sharpen your competence profile and choose between three specializations:
Due to the increasing prominence of institutional investors in the real estate market, active real estate portfolio management and strategies for investment, disinvestment and optimisation are becoming increasingly important. Training paths which specialise in finance have become indispensable due to the growing significance of real estate assets in the capital market. Topics such as real estate financing as well as valuation and transaction management are therefore becoming increasingly important in the real estate sector.
Sustainable development is the great challenge of our time, and digital transformation can be the key to a more sustainably built environment in real estate and facility management. This in-depth specialisation brings these two developing trends in the real estate industry together and examines the synergies that exist between them.
Plan your studies individually, choosing from the extensive range of courses offered in the Economics & Finance and Digitalisation & Sustainability specialisations.
We want you to be flexible with your time and use it wisely. That's why the lessons take place two weeks online, one week on site.
- Week 1 is for individual processing of the learning material, flexible and independent of time.
- Week 2 is moderated online meetings (Wednesday through Friday).
- Week 3 everyone meets on site in Wädenswil, Winterthur or Zurich. Interactive, in exchange with research and business partners (Wednesday to Friday).
You can complete the program in four or six semesters. This allows you to work 50 or 70 percent at your job while studying.
Are you interested in taking an international approach to your studies? We offer an attractive learning environment for this: whether you attend an exchange semester or a summer or winter school at a partner university - we will be happy to advise you and provide you with unique experiences.
The transdisciplinary degree enables you to be strategically and operationally adept in all essential functional areas of a company.
Equipped with expert knowledge of the real estate industry, many doors will be open to you, such as jobs in the following areas:
- Corporate Real Estate Management
- Business Development
- Digital Innovation Management
- Portfolio Management
- Real Estate Financing and Investment
The program director decides on admission in an admission procedure. Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- You preferably have a bachelor's degree (at least 180 ECTS) in facility management, real estate management, business administration, architecture, engineering and/or hospitality management and/or can show additional proof of achievement. You do not have one of the above-mentioned Bachelor's degrees? No problem, bachelor graduates from other disciplines are also welcome.
- After registration, your documents will be checked and we will invite you to a personal interview with the programme director. Together we will discuss what skills you already have and what you still need for an optimal start to your studies. The interview is a prerequisite for definitive admission to the degree programme. Admission may be subject to certain conditions (we will gladly support you with learning materials). The costs for the suitability assessment are a flat rate of CHF 600.00.