Quick navigation

Main navigation

Preparation and Enrollment

Decorative Picture

Conditions of acceptance

Incoming students at the ZHAW School of Management and Law must meet the requirements for study abroad set by their home universities. In addition, the following requirements laid down by the ZHAW School of Management and Law (SML) must also be met:

  1. Incoming students must have completed at least one year of study at their home institute before their departure.
  2. Since the language of instruction is either German or English, incoming students must have good skills in one or both of these languages.  As proof of sufficient language skills, the following certificates at B2+/C1 as stipulated by the Central European Framework (CEFR) are accepted:
  • TOEFL: 550 / 213 / 79
  • IELTS: 6.5
  • Cambridge Advanced: Grade C
  • BEC Higher: Grade C

Application process

The application process is coordinated between the international offices of the partner schools. Are you interested in a study exchange at the ZHAW School of Management and Law? Please apply through the International Office of your home university. Once your home university has approved participation, you will receive all necessary information and documents from the International Office of the SML.

Application deadlines

For applications to the ZHAW School of Management and Law, the following deadlines apply:

What Fall Semester Spring Semester
Nomination from home university 30 April 30 September
Application form 15 May 15 October

English language training

The ZHAW School of Management and Law offers a wide range of courses to improve skills in business or legal English. Students who wish to attend one of these courses must complete an English placement test so that they can be assigned to the appropriate class level. This short exam is sent to the student in their application pack.


Students from institutes which do not have an exchange agreement with the ZHAW School of Management and Law, but who wish to study here, may apply directly to the ZHAW School of Management and Law International Office. A limited number of places are available each semester for these so-called freemovers.

Applications are reviewed by the Director of International Relations and the Head of the Study Program of the ZHAW School of Management and Law. Freemovers pay the ZHAW tuition fee of CHF 720.- per semester (excl. license fees, as at August 2015) plus an additional fee of CHF 500.- per semester for foreign students.

Freemover applicants need to provide:

  • A detailed statement indicating why they wish to study at the ZHAW School of Management and Law
  • Proof of language ability at the C1 level or higher
  • A transcript of their academic record from their home university
  • A letter of support from a faculty member of their home university
  • A letter of approval from the International Office of their home university

Health insurance

Basic health insurance is required by law in Switzerland. Students from the European Union are exempt from this obligation by submitting a copy of their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which must be valid for the entire duration of their stay. Students from other countries have to buy Swiss health insurance. The ZHAW School of Management and Law has special agreements with Swiss health insurance providers and the International Office will assist incoming students in obtaining Swiss health insurance. The approximate costs are about CHF 80 - CHF 120 per month.

Liability insurance

Liability insurance covers damages to other persons and property caused by the policy holder.  Liability insurance is not legally required and no proof of such insurance is necessary for enrollment at the ZHAW School of Management and Law. However, it is recommended that exchange students are insured against unexpected damage. Before departure from their home countries, students should check with their insurer whether their insurance covers liability during stays abroad. Students wishing to take out liability insurance cover in Switzerland can do so for about CHF 100 - CHF 150 a year.


The visa requirements for exchange study in Switzerland vary depending on the student’s country of origin.

  • Students from countries in the European Union do not require a visa for Switzerland. A residency permit is applied for on arrival at the local authority office.
  • Students from non-EU countries require a visa to enter Switzerland for study purposes. In advance to their departure, students should contact the Swiss embassy or consulate in their home country to arrange an entry visa for Switzerland.

In support of visa applications, the International Office provides confirmation of enrollment for study at the ZHAW School of Management and Law. After arrival in Switzerland, the International Office helps incoming students in obtaining a resident permit from the City of Winterthur. 

Swiss embassies

Financial solvency

The Immigration Department of the Canton of Zurich requires non-EU students to provide proof that they have the funds available to support themselves during their planned stay in Switzerland. Currently, students must show that they have CHF 1,750.- available per month of study (as at March 2011).

Such evidence can be provided in the following ways:

  • Through financial sponsorship of a person resident in Switzerland
  • By presenting an account statement from a Swiss bank
  • By showing proof of available funds in a foreign bank that has a legal presence (domicile) in Switzerland.

Liability disclaimer

The ZHAW School of Management and Law actively supports and encourages student exchanges. Students are considered to be responsible for their actions during their exchange stays in Switzerland and abroad. The university assumes no liability for claims by students or third parties resulting from actions by any student involved in the university’s exchange programs. Corresponding claims cannot be made against the university by students or third parties.