TikTok privacy behaviour of Swiss young people
At a glance
- Project leader : Dr. Nico Ebert
- Project team : Elke Brucker-Kley, Dr. Tim Geppert
- Project budget : CHF 20'000
- Project status : completed
- Funding partner : Internal (ZHAW digital / Digital Futures Fund)
- Contact person : Nico Ebert
The social media app TikTok is heavily used by young people
worldwide and is also very popular among Swiss young people.
However, the app has been criticised for its low level of data
protection, prompting the app provider Bytedance to step up its
efforts in this area (e.g. function restrictions for people under
This qualitative study aims to investigate what knowledge Zurich pupils have about data protection in TikTok and how they protect their personal data in everyday life. In this way, the study is intended to form a first contribution to the design of corresponding educational materials and for a later intervention.