Leadership Fundamentals – Advancing in your leadership roleApply
Further education class: develop your leadership skills, advance in your leadership role. Introductory leadership programme for beginner and intermediate level learners.
At a glance
Qualification: Certificate of attendance Leadership Fundamentals – Advancing in your leadership role
Start: on request
Duration: 7 days in class, 2x half-day shadowing
Costs: CHF 4'500.00
IAP Institute of Applied Psychology and/or online
Language of instruction: English
Objectives and content
- People who have been identified as having leadership potential and want or will be taking on leadership responsibility in the near future
- People who have recently become a leader and want to prepare themselves for their new role
Early- and Mid-Career Professionals:
- Leaders with initial leadership experience who want to gain new insights and knowledge
Leaders without formal authority
- Lateral leaders, e.g. project managers, who take on leadership tasks without having a line manager function and wish to fulfil these tasks professionally
- reflect on their current leadership situation, their experience and actions in the organisational area of tension.
- recognise essential aspects of their leadership role and are more aware of taking on, shaping and implementing their role as a leader.
- recognise the basic elements and principles of effective cooperation and leadership.
- reflect on the specific implementation in their own leadership practice.
- strengthen their leadership and decision-making competence.
- learn to lead themselves and others more effectively in an organisational environment.
- sharpen their perception, give and receive development-promoting feedback.
- recognise personal strengths and behavioural preferences.
- expand their ability to situational and individual leading, and learn to use existing differences as contributions to the whole.
- recognise current professional issues and challenges and develop concrete solutions.
- optimise their self-management and thereby increase their effectiveness.
Are you looking for a career boost with taking over leadership responsibility? Are you leading projects or teams and don’t get the results that you are looking for?
The course Leadership Fundamentals is designed to assist new and aspiring leaders to discover and uncover the potential in themselves and others. Develop your leadership skills and advance your career, team and organization.
During this course, you become aware of current and future challenges in relation to your every-day professional life. Together with your class mates, you will reflect on your experiences and behaviour in the face of existing contradictions, conflicts or excessive demands. In return, you will develop an individual and effective way of dealing with difficult situations.
Essential and relevant leadership topics as well as situation-based solutions are developed through concrete examples from everyday leadership, practical simulations and by bringing in the participants' own current cases.
Following the course days, you are offered an individual coaching session. Together with a professional IAP expert, you can discuss personal challenges from your professional environment and develop possible solutions.
- Team/peer coaching, solution-oriented work on own cases
- Peer feedback and self-reflection
- Process and experience-oriented approach
- Biographical learning: Activating resources and skills from personal life history
- Short, content-related input on essential and practice-relevant leadership topics
- Group and individual exercises, case studies from practice and simulations
- Collegial "shadowing on the job"
- The orientation of the course is practice and transfer oriented
- 7 days in class
- 2x half-day shadowing: Accompanying a peer in his/her organisational context and vice versa (self-organised among peers)
- Preparation and follow-up of the single classes, self-study, transfer assurance through collegial team coaching and writing of the shadowing report
See graphic of class structure above.
Enquiries and contact
Jean-Christophe Duméril, Lecturer
MSc. ETH (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich), post grade studies in didactics and business administration (eMBA). Since 2017 full-time lecturer, consultant and head of study program at the IAP in the Centre for Leadership, Coaching and Change management.
Sidal Lutterbach, Lecturer
After achieving her trilingual Bachelor’s degree (English, French, and German) in psychology from the University of Luxemburg, she completed her studies in clinical and economic psychology at the University of Zurich. At the IAP, she is working as a lecturer and coach with an emphasis on leadership, coaching and teams.
Prof. Dr. Andres Pfister, Lecturer
He studied at the University of Basel grading with a Master in Social- & Economic psychology. While persuing his PhD at the University of Zurich he worked as a research assistant at the Swiss Military Academy at ETH Zurich. Since 2017 he is Professor for Leadership, Coaching and Change Management.
Sibylle Schäfer, Coordinator Continuing Education
+41 58 934 40 78
|Start||Application deadline||Registration link|