Registering for the Master's in Environment and Natural Resources
Use the application portal to apply online for a place at the ZHAW. You will be guided through the application, admission and enrolment process.
Preparing your application
Have all the following information and documents at hand, in electronic form:
- CH social security number (756…). If you live or work in Switzerland, you can find this on your AHV card or on your CH health insurance card.
- CH matriculation number: if you have been or were previously enrolled at a Swiss university, you can find this on your entitlement to access to higher education (yellow adhesive label).
When you first register in the application portal or at a later point in time, you must upload the following documents:
- Passport photo / portrait photo for ZHAW ID card, as JPG (must be uploaded when first registering)
- ID card, passport or residence permit for foreign nationals (must be uploaded when first registering)
- CH ex-matriculation certificate, if you have been or were previously enrolled at a Swiss university
- Proof of your entitlement to access to higher education (vocational / specialised baccalaureate, academic baccalaureate, university entrance qualification (Abitur, Federal VET Diploma, etc.)
Instructions for online application
Please read the following instructions carefully before entering the application portal. You should expect to spend approx. 20 minutes completing this initial process (steps 1-4). Further steps will take place at a later point in time.
- Log in with Switch edu-ID (digital identity for access to web resources in the academic world)
To create a Switch edu-ID, you will be required to give your full name and email address. After creating a Switch edu-ID, you will be able to use the online application option.
- Register your personal details
Enter the required information and save it.
- Register your application for a specific degree programme
Click on the programme with a grey background. Enter the information requested, upload a passport photo and the required documents.
- Pay the application fee of CHF 100
Accepted means of payment are PostFinance Card or credit card (VISA or MasterCard). The invoice will be issued online.
Once your payment has been completed, you will receive an email confirming your application for the degree programme you have chosen.
- Checking your application
Once payment has been completed, your application will be processed by the administrative office responsible for your degree programme. If any details/documents are missing or if any documents are rejected (illegible, etc.), you will receive another email.
- Amending details and documents
You will be asked to log in using your Switch edu-ID. On the input page, you will find detailed information on which documents you may still need to upload/replace or what details are missing.
- Verification of admission
If all the required details and documents have been submitted, your admission status will be verified by the director of studies' office (or an aptitude test will be arranged). You will be advised of the outcome. If you are accepted on the programme, you will receive an email containing a link to the confirmation of admission. In the case of a negative decision, you will be notified by post.
- Student Personal Data Form to determine the canton liable for payment
In order to ascertain which canton is required to pay contributions to the ZHAW under the agreement on universities of applied sciences (Fachhochschulvereinbarung), please answer the questions on the Student Personal Data Form in the online application portal. You will receive an email asking you to do this by your programme’s administrative office.
Please note that the questions for the Student Personal Data Form are activated in the online application portal from 15 November at the earliest for the spring semester and from 15 June for the autumn semester.
- Semester fees
You will be asked to pay the tuition fees online. Accepted means of payment are PostFinance Card or credit card (VISA or MasterCard).
- Semester registration confirmation / confirmation of enrolment
If you meet all the admission requirements, your semester registration confirmation will be made available to you online. Your enrolment confirmation will be given to you in person or sent by post.
If you are expecting an email from us during the application process but do not receive one, please first check your spam folder. If you do not find anything there, please contact the academic office responsible for the degree programme you have applied for.
The official deadline is 30th April for programmes starting in autumn.
A fee of CHF 100.- will be charged for all applications.